Friday 22 October 2021

The day I met Owl

 

Many years ago. A summer evening. Keith and I were going home from the pub. It was still light as it usually is in summer over here. Walking by the edge of the park we saw an owl on a tree.

It was a large owl; I'd never seem them so big. It was about half-way up a tall tree. It was not moving at all. It did not seem bothered by our presence, as if he hadn't noticed us.

Keith started making hooting noises. I tried to dissuade him in case the people in nearby houses may hear us and call the police. He continued hooting for a while. The owl did not move an inch; or a centimetre either. I did not know whether he used the metric system of measurements or not, but it did not matter because he did not move.

We thought he was a statue. But then, who would but a statue of an owl so high up a tree. 

"Perhaps it's a stuffed owl," said Keith who had considered studying taxidermy. He had failed trigonometry at college and taxidermy was another course in the list beginning with T. He thought it was the management of taxis. He ended up studying truancy at College and went on to University to study stupidity.

I doubted it was a stuffed owl. It looked real. But then, stuffed animals look real anyway, only dead. 

Keith decided to draw its attention by throwing something at it. He picked up a brick from a nearby building site. I had to dissuade him by explaining it was not aerodynamic enough. He threw a few small pebbles. The owl did not move at all.

We decided to phone the animal and birds welfare people, even though it was getting late. We went to the telephone kiosk and Keith phoned them.

"There's a big owl on top of a big tree and it is not moving at all!"

"What kind is it?"

"I don't know. Possibly an oak, or an elm or perhaps a sycamore. I don't know about trees!"

"The owl!"

"What about the owl?"

"What type is it?"

"I didn't know there were different types. They're all the same shape with big eyes and heads that go round 360 degrees to save them turning round when walking!"

"How big is it?"

"The size of a small dog!"

"Colour?"

"Mostly brown ... I think ... it's getting a bit dark right now!"

"Does it have a brown face, or is it a lighter colour?"

"Can't remember ... hold on ... we'll go and find out ..."

We ran back to the edge of the park and we could not agree on which tree the owl was on. All trees look the same apparently and the owl could have been on any of them; but which one. We searched many trees and eventually gave up.

Perhaps we should have marked the tree before phoning for help.

24 comments:

  1. ...I have never seen an owl in person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have ... at a fancy dress party. My friend Joe was dressed as an owl - in person.

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
  2. Telephone kiosk...

    Hmm. Ok. I think I can picture that, but everyone here under 40 is saying, "What, pray tell, is that?" 😂

    "...and went on to University to study stupidity."

    I did that. Sigh.

    I hope they found the owl. I am intrigued. What happened next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt there are many telephone kiosks around in these days of cell-phones.

      I'm certain you are not stupid, Sandi. I'm sure of it. We did not find the owl because we could not find the tree in the woods.

      God bless.

      Delete
  3. We are often visited by Barred owls in our neck of the woods, Victor. I love hearing their haunting hoots!
    And I think that lots of those attending colleges today are there to earn a degree in stupidity. They'd rather change pronouns than be able to debate issues honestly.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lucky to be visited by owls. Over here I've seen bats at night, the occasional fox even, but no owls. Also, plenty of stupidity over here.

      God bless, Martha.

      Delete
  4. Ha! What Martha said!
    Seriously. I know all about the circle of life, but owls creep me out. While turning into our drive one night, we spotted a huge owl take flight. I swore then and there, neither of our little dogs will ever be allowed outside by themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess big owls could attack small dogs. I don't really know. Better to be safe and keep them indoors.

      There are large owls in the UK, but not in towns or cities. I saw quite a few at a birds' sanctuary.

      God bless you, Mevely.

      Delete
  5. I always get a kick out of your stories. But one question, does your priest ask your advice at times? I am enjoying 'Take care of My Sheep', I am amazed at the similarities of the 'experiences' of a priest and a pastor. LOL I see my dad in Father Ignatius.
    Thanks,
    Sherry & jack headed for the Property Tax office, confession won't hurt much (I guess). LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so kind to me Jack, saying you see your dad in Fr Ignatius. The character is based on some priests I've known. I'm so glad to hear you're enjoying "Take Care of my sheep".

      Priests don't ask me for advice. One of them has given me advice. He read my books and said they should be made into films for TV. Unfortunately, I don't have the contacts. It's all about knowing someone of influence these days.

      Best wishes at the Tax Office. We tend to do our tax returns online - what a headache that is.

      God bless you and Sherry.

      Delete
    2. If you read this, ;-) I just finished the book thoroughly enjoyed it. You probably missed your calling. ;-) And yes, even your dreaming up the fans and block ice, my dad actually did that, but it was for mama during a church convention. LOL
      Love ya!

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much Jack for your kindness and support. I try my best about writing about God and Jesus. And God makes sure what I write is read by those who need it most. I hope someone somewhere benefits from my writings.

      So glad we met on the Internet.

      God bless you and Sherry.

      Delete
  6. The moral I got from this story is maybe you and your friend should spend less time at the Pub. I don't want to brag, but I did not have to study stupidity it came naturally for me. 🙃😁 God bless, Victor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we did have a few to drink ... but so was the owl!

      I'm certain you're not stupid, Nells. Great sense of humour though. God bless you.

      Delete
  7. Should have told the person it was a wise owl. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes good point. I wonder why owls are considered wise?

      God bless, Bill.

      Delete
  8. Perhaps the owl was real and just flew away.
    Owls are so impressive in person. I've seen a few!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of that ... he must have flown whilst we were in the telephone kiosk.

      God bless, Happyone.

      Delete
  9. Most owls are grumpy if you wake them too early, so maybe it's best you didn't mess with this one any further.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dearest Victor,
    We sure have a big and noisy owl in our neighborhood.
    They have a very special voice.
    But Keith was not focussed on the owl but the tree... haha!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  11. But Keith was not focussed on the owl but the tree... haha!

    This is a brilliant line, Mariette. I like it. Thanx.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.