Wednesday 6 October 2021

Stupid animals

 

They say that one thing that distinguish us from animals is that we have opposable thumbs. Opposable thumbs means that our thumb can bend and touch all the other fingers. So we can hold things, small things, we can eat with one hand, and we can do many things animals cannot. There are of course many animals with opposable thumbs, but they cannot touch all their other fingers with their thumbs.

Try picking up a single grain of rice, or lentil, or a KFC leg with your thumb and index finger and tell your dog, "See ... I can do this and you cannot!"

Actually, I think many animals are just not smart, regardless of whether they have opposable thumbs or not. Try teaching your dog to say "Pretty Polly!" You'd be wasting your time. And you don't need any thumbs to say "Pretty Polly!"

When I point to his bed and tell my dog, "Go to bed!" he looks at my finger instead of his sleeping-couch. That is stupid.

He is so stupid he lost three out of five games of chess against me. He can never remember that the bishop moves sideways on the board. That's dumb.

Try teaching a cat to fetch a ball when you throw it in the park. Another waste of time. When I take it off its lead it just runs away. 

We've had our cat since it was a small kitten. It is black, and now rather big. He's as big as a large dog like an Alsatian at least. He eats about two kilos of meat a day and sits there growling.

I took it for a walk once and it climbed up a tree dragging me behind him holding on to his lead. It was a pine type tree and I got cut up and bruised with all the needles and sharp branches. That's a stupid cat indeed.

Some people think that speaking to animals gently and quietly will help teach them. Believe me, it does not seem to work. They are too dumb to understand. 

A friend of mine wanted to prove that animals are really smart and can understand humans. He says, or claims, he was a horse whisperer. He believed he could calm a horse by approaching it slowly and quietly speak to it. He also wanted to be a lion whisperer. An ambition he achieved just a few minutes before his tragic death.

Some animals provide us with food. I've already mentioned KFC. Once at a restaurant I had an elephant steak. It has a taste you'll never forget. 

As a side dish I also had rhinoceros cutlets. When I got out of the restaurant I started head-butting Jeeps and charging at people.

I used to be an amateur dramatic actor. A member of a small troupe who performed locally in various venues.

Being a perfectionist, I liked to dress in full costume beforehand and rehearse my lines in front of a full length mirror.

On one occasion I played the part of one of the mice that turn into horses in the Cinderella story.


So I took my costume home and put it on; then I stood there in front of the mirror looking like a giant mouse.

The cat came in and AHHH!!!! He was totally frightened out of his nine lives. 

He thought one of the many mice he has been chasing in the past had come back for revenge. He climbed madly on top of the wardrobe and would not come down … shaking to death he was.

The dog usually half-asleep in front of the TV woke up suddenly upon hearing the cat’s commotion.

He looked at me and decided there’s no way he’d let a giant mouse usurp his territory. He started growling … I tried to calm him down … but he pounced toppling me onto the ground and biting me in several unmentionable places.

Animals are dumb ... opposable thumbs or not.

26 comments:

  1. Animals are not dumb. They are not human, but that does not make them dumb.
    Also if you get dragged up a tree by a giant cat because you didn't let go of the leash, then you are the dumb one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If animals were clever they would be able to play the piano, or drive a car, or cook dinner or ... not climb trees dragging their owner behind.

      God bless, River.

      Delete
  2. ...Stupid animals and man is at the top of the heap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got it right Tom. The intention behind my article. Animals may not be the smartest, brightest creatures; but we are at the top of the heap ... opposable thumbs?

      God bless you ... for understanding me.

      Delete
    2. I missed your point didn't I? (*~*)

      Delete
  3. I agree with River. God gave each thing he made the intelligence it needed...and we know that God doesn't make mistakes :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you agree that I am dumb. And not the cat for dragging me up the tree???

      God bless, Kathy.

      Delete
  4. Your thought pattern is amazing, Victor! What separates us from the animals, indeed!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lulu,

      What may separate us from the animals is, (amongst other things), ... a sense of humour.

      Keep smiling my friend. God bless you.

      Delete
  5. Okay I am thinking. Every day I feed the feral cats here. I use two bowls. I pour the food into one bowl and they gather around it, then into the other bowl and they come to it expecting something different.
    BUT, but THANKS for a good visit. Love the Elephant steak 'thought'.
    The best to you my friend, be safe on your side.
    Sherry & jack, still thinking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cats can be domesticated with time. Are yours friendly now you get to know them? Do they always stay near your home or do they roam far away?

      Keep well and keep smiling.

      God bless you and Sherry.

      Delete
  6. Like our own dogs, I strongly suspect (most) animals are not unintelligent -- but merely act that way to further their own devices. I've nearly caught mine laughing behind my back.

    PS - Are you sure that kitten you adopted wasn't in fact, a bear cub?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, animals can be intelligent. Mine still does not know all the chess pieces moves though. He pushes them all over the place with his nose.

      The kitten is definitely a cat. It is black and looks like a cat but much bigger. The size of a very big dog at least. It does not purr very much; just growls.

      God bless, Mevely.

      Delete
  7. The poor cat, he was terrified of the giant human pretending to be a mouse and the dog was doing his job protecting his area. Doesn't sound dumb to me, the animals were smart and doing what comes naturally. As for the human, well....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was trying my costume for the Cinderella play, and the dog attacked me for no reason. Did not even recognise my voice.

      God bless, Bill.

      Delete
  8. Dearest Victor,
    Animals are by no means dumb. I know lots of animals that are far smarter than some dumb people!
    It puzzles us how animals can sense what is really going on with their humans; they have that sixth sense. It works far better than all social media combined and they're never selfish or about the me-me culture.
    Good try to paint your animals here...
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, some animals are smarter than dumb people. That's for sure. My dog knows when it is time to eat.

      God bless, Mariette.

      Delete
  9. I'm going to venture that it is humans who can be so dumb at times, Victor. Animals are true to whatever gifts God gave them, even if they appear to be stupid in our eyes. At least, unlike many people, they know who they are.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make a good point, Martha. Many people do not know who they are, or what they are.

      God bless.

      Delete
  10. I'm not sure that my dog is so dumb. He has me at his beck and call.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, same here Liz.

      It's good to see you visiting. Thanx. We look forward to seeing you here again.

      God bless.

      Delete
  11. Some animals are smarter than others, just like people.
    I had a yellow lab and she was one smart dog!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Labs can be very smart. We had a couple; years ago.

      God bless, Happyone.

      Delete
  12. They certainly don't think things through very well, except, perhaps, when there's food involved and they are plotting how to get it.

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.