Thursday 21 July 2022

At the hospital

 

I had to go to hospital. It's been such a long time since I last visited that place when I worked as a volunteer doing this and that to help.

The place had changed completely. There were posters and notices everywhere telling you how good the place was; their Mission Statement, how they care for you, how your care and attention is important to them, and all sorts of nice pictures and photos to brighten up the place, as well as copies of masterpiece paintings and flowers to brighten the surroundings. It was more like being in a posh hotel rather than a hospital.

Now hospitals are normally sad and desolate places. Few people go there voluntarily and cheerfully, unless it is for pregnancy of course, otherwise people go there because they are not well. So all this cheerfulness seemed somewhat false to me. With lots of mini shops selling you sweets, chocolate and other goodies to cheer you up.

There were even a lot of those square type posters, they call them QR codes I believe, inviting you to scan with your cell-phone and download the App for this and that information. These QR codes are everywhere these days. Not just in hospitals, but on buses, trains, shop windows, various websites and such like places like offices. Even on our TV when the adverts are on. I wonder if our church will have a QR code for a quick confession.

I like the way they say, "information you need to know", implying that if things go wrong it's your fault mate for not knowing. We did warn you that hitting your head against the wall will hurt. We did tell you not to stay in the hot sun for too long, or that global warming is caused by heat, or that cold winters are due to it being cold, or not to do this and that. Did you download the App from the QR code and learn? NOOOOOOO!!!!!

As I sat in the waiting room I wondered how Heaven must be like.

Are there adverts and posters and notices everywhere and QR codes inviting you to download "holy" Apps?

Download the App and get a night out with your favourite Saint at the best restaurant in Paradise.

Get the App and have a one-to-one interview with Saint Paul - that should be exhilarating. 

Enter this competition and learn to fly with the Airborne Angels; or learn to play the harp like Harpo Marx.

Anyway, I did get to see the doctor. I'm glad to say that he was well despite the hard work, often difficult, that medical staff have to endure day in day out. I told him some jokes to cheer him up and left him in a better state than when I first met him.

PRAY FOR ALL HOSPITAL WORKERS AND MEDICS

17 comments:

  1. Wonder if there's an App for the reading off the last
    rites..?
    I don't do Apps anyway..only one on my phone..and
    that's my gallery, photos etc..don't get to involved in
    all this technology...I've a tongue in me head, so l tend
    to use that mostly..!

    Karen who cuts my hair, she'll be up later to give me a
    trim, took me to Dorchester hospital last Tuesday, for
    my yearly pacemaker check, 10mins, job done, they
    gave me another week or two..HeHe! :)
    And..my doctor phoned me last March, she asked me
    how l was, as she had'nt seen me for a year, l said No!
    I've been ill...HeHe! Bless her..! :). I'm always pulling
    her leg...she walks with a limp now..! :0).

    And..just walking home from town, bumped into an old
    landlord friend, had'nt seen in ages..he said.."Willie,
    goodness! I heard you'd died" I said that l did, but did'nt
    like it, decided to come back..! :).

    So... A man goes to the hospital and says, “Doctor, I
    think I’m a bit hard of hearing”.
    The doctor replies “Can you describe the symptoms?”
    The man says “Sure. Marge has blue hair, Homer is
    fat and bald”...

    A chap goes to the doctor and says “I keep seeing a werewolf, with big sharp teeth”. The doctor says,
    “have you seen a psychiatrist?” The man says “no,
    just a werewolf”...
    🐔 🐔 🐔 🐔 🐔 🐔 🐔 🐔 🐔 🐔 🐔

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. “have you seen a psychiatrist?” The man says “no,
      just a werewolf”...

      That's brilliant, Willie. Keep 'em coming.

      God bless.

      Delete
    2. A mother complained to her consultant about her daughter's strange eating habits.
      –"All day long she lies in bed and eats yeast and car wax. What will happen to her?"
      –"Eventually," said the consultant, "she will rise and shine."

      When does a doctor get mad?
      When he runs out of patients!

      Why did the pillow go to the doctor?
      He was feeling all stuffed up!

      Why did the doctor lose his temper?
      Because he didn't have any patients!

      Where does a boat go when it's sick?
      To the dock!

      Delete
  2. ...our DIL is a nurse and I pray for her every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Medics do such wonderful work. Thanx Tom.

      God bless.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Hoping for the day hospitals are no longer needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you imagine? No one is ever ill or sick again?

      And how many people out of work? Doctors, nurses, hospital staff, hospital cleaners, cooks etc ... hospital builders, medicine makers and suppliers of medical equipments of all sorts, health insurance, ambulance drivers, ambulance makers, emergency telephone operators ... the list is endless ... I have a headache and need an aspirin ... oh ... I forgot ... there's no one to make aspirins any more.

      I think bad health is good for business, Sandi.

      Only joking ... but I get your message. God bless always.

      Delete
  4. The last time I tried to capture a QR code I wound up with a photo of the television screen. (*sigh*) Somedays are harder than others, but I sure wish people were more pleasant to their nurses and aides. That's not something I could do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never downloaded any QR codes. I once tried to take a photo of a poster to show a friend afterwards. Ended up taking a photo of myself. Why do cell phones have 2 cameras, one on each side?

      God bless, Mevely.

      Delete
  5. The hospital is not a fun place to be and I'm sure that some of the nurses and doctors think the same. I think we don't appreciate them enough because we are worried about whatever we are there for. A tough job for the caretakers and we should always keep that in mind. Better yet, try and stay out of a hospital but it's hard when it's an emergency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, well said, Bill. I admire the medics and others who work in hospitals and the health professions. It must be difficult day in day out dealing with do many difficulties.

      God bless.

      Delete
  6. Dearest Victor,
    You quoted a very true sentence: "information you need to know". What do they think they are, for insinuating things like that?!
    QR code or Quick Response code... Haha!
    The world better gets other quick response things in order before it is too late!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wise of you, Mariette. I never bothered to look up what QR meant. Quick Response ... I think prayer is the quickest response which we obtain from God. And you don't need a cell-phone for that.

      Thank you so much. God bless.

      Delete
  7. Saying a prayer for all hospital workers and medics.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do such a great job with dedication.

      God bless, Jan.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.