Wednesday 13 July 2022

Confessions

 

Catholics are encouraged to go to confession regularly. Something which I have a little difficulty with. These days, whenever I sin, which is a very rare occurrence, I like to ask God's forgiveness directly without going through a middle-man.

I believe my antipathy with confessions started many years ago when I confessed a particularly interesting sin to a priest in confession. Whenever he saw me after that he winked at me knowingly and made me feel guilty once again. He never said anything, but he winked. My guilt ensured that I never sinned that sin again; which is a pity, I think.

It wasn't until many years later that I learnt that the priest had a nervous tick and that he winked at everyone. What a lot of wasted opportunities passed me by in my ignorance.

Despite my dislike of confessions, I go to confessions every now and then to remind the priest that I still exist. If it were not for confessions he would not know I am a parishioner of his. I once sat at the back of the church and fell asleep during his sermon. When Mass was over and everyone had left, he thought I was a vagrant and offered me some money and a cup of tea.

I don't go to confession every week as recommended by the rule book of the Pope. I just go every now and then, say every few months or so, because, as I said I don't sin so much these days.

Besides, it gets a bit tedious and somewhat boring to confess the same sins every time.

"My wife went yaketty yak yaketty yak for ages and I did not listen to a word because football was on TV!" When I confessed that sin, the priest asked me who won the football game.

On another occasion I confessed that I hid my mother-in-law's broomstick so she could not fly home and took the bus instead. He thought that was funny, and asked if it was true.

I tell you folks, it is becoming more difficult thinking up imaginative sins to confess. On one occasion he noticed the repetitions and suggested I go to confession at the church down town where I would get a different slant on the advice given and probably more lenient penances.

I went to the church down town and the priest there did not recognise my voice. (They have a voice recognition system in the confessional I believe).

He asked me which church I was from, and I told him. 

He said, "Can you tell your priest not to re-cycle his reject parishioners over here!"

His penance was so harsh I never went there again.

26 comments:

  1. I've said this before..up until the age of ten, l went to
    church 3/4 times a week, 3 times on Sunday, confession
    on Saturday..
    "Forgive me Father for l have sinned...I've been rude to
    my Mother and Father, l've been rude to other people,
    l've used bad language like..Oh! Dear! Oh! Gosh!
    I've stuck out my tongue at my next doors neighbours
    dog.." And so on..week in week out..Three Hail Mary's,
    three Our Fathers..Job done..!
    Then Father Pedrick used to say.."Willie..leave a 'tip'
    in the box"...I used to write down one of the horses
    running in the 2.30 at Ascot..! :).

    So from 10~11~12 onwards, l started growing up,
    so yes, that was the last time l'd been to confession,
    never been since..l'm with you Victor..l confess in
    my own way, one on one so to speak, just between
    me and my maker..But as we know, one cannot
    receive Holy Communion without going to confession...
    As you have to be in a state of grace...
    Does that still apply..? Don't know..anyway, it's never
    bothered me...! I'm satisfied with the faith l have, and
    the faith l believe in..I don't run my life by any rule
    book..But! I do believe in the Ten Commandments, if
    we stick to the words..'Though Shalt Not'..we'll not
    go far wrong...! Amen...!
    ❤️ 🙏 ❤️ 🙏 ❤️ 🙏 ❤️ 🙏 ❤️ 🙏 ❤️ 🙏 ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is important to recognise when we sin and to (genuinely) seek forgiveness.

      God bless, Willie.

      Delete
  2. ...coming from an Irish family that was once Catholic, I find confessions to a priest difficult to understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I understand what you mean, Tom.

      God bless.

      Delete
  3. Dearest Victor,
    Loved the line of re–cycled, reject parishioners!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm glad I thought of this line as I was writing this story. It's good to laugh, Mariette.

      God bless you and Pieter.

      Delete
  4. Joey the altar boy goes to confession and says...
    ‎'Bless me Father, for I have sinned. I have been
    with a loose girl'.

    'And who was the girl you were with?'

    'I can't tell you, Father. I don't want to ruin her
    reputation'.

    "Well, I'm sure to find out her name sooner or
    later, so you may as well tell me now...
    Was it Tina Minetti?

    'I cannot say.'

    'Was it Teresa Mazzarelli?'

    'I'll never tell.'

    'Was it Nina Capelli?'

    'I'm sorry, but I cannot name her.'

    'Was it Cathy Piriano?'

    'My lips are sealed.'

    'Was it Rosa DiAngelo, then?'

    'Please, Father, I cannot tell you.'

    The priest sighs in frustration...
    'You're very tight lipped, and I admire that... But
    you've sinned and have to atone...
    You cannot be an altar boy now for 4 months...
    Now you go and behave yourself.'

    Joey walks back to his pew, and his friend Franco
    slides over and whispers, 'What'd you get?'

    'Four months vacation and five good leads.' :O)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know if I could ever get used to a confessional, Victor. Of course, if I were a practicing Catholic, that wouldn't even be an issue.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many churches don't use a confessional any more, Martha. You just sit in a room and have a chat with the priest. A bit like being with a faith counsellor. He advises you about God's love for you and His forgiveness and absolves your sins in the name of Christ. The "penance" is a tradition to make you think about your sin and often it is to pray to God, e.g. say the Lord's Prayer slowly and concentrate on its words.

      Very rarely does the priest give advice, like a counsellor would. But he would point out the seriousness of one's sins.

      God bless, Martha.

      Delete
  6. Now who'd have thought the traditional confessional would ever become passe?! While I'm not a practicing Catholic, I was a bit curious to take a peek inside one sometime.
    Too funny about the priest's eye tik! Truly, I can't imagine looking someone in the eye and confessing my sins

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In olden days, when I was a young boy at school, wooden confessional boxes were the norm. Like in the photo above. I doubt many churches have them now.

      A lot of Catholics have reservations about confessing to a priest. The Church, I think, has a lot to answer for in this respect.

      God bless you and yours, Mevely.

      Delete
  7. As a kid in school, we were marched over to the church on the first Friday of every month to go to confession. Eventually, it stopped and they said go whenever you want to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once a month? We had to go every week. Not enough time to think up new sins to commit!!!

      God bless you and your family, Bill.

      Delete
  8. - I pray and ask forgiveness directly. Amusing post though… lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed my humour, Debby. It's nice to see you visiting here again. Thanx.

      God bless.

      Delete
  9. I love the way you find humor in unusual circumstances. I, sometimes, feel that my prayers are repetitive too. God bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Humour seems to appear in my head in various situations, Nells. At least it keeps me amused. And it gives me the opportunity to share it.

      God bless you always.

      Delete
  10. I've never been to a confessional but I've confessed many sins directly to God. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. We do sometimes need to confess our sins to one another and seek forgiveness from people we've hurt, there's a time and place for it. There are also occasions where we'd do more harm than good to go rehash something with the person and confessing just to The Lord is sufficient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Often people get guidance and a new perspective when confessing to a priest.

      God bless, Mimi.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.