Wednesday 7 December 2022

Christmas at Nan Melba

 

Christmas is such a lovely time. It always takes me back to my childhood when we used to visit Nan Melba. Nan Melba was not really my grandmother, not genetically that is. You could say she was genetically modified. She was an elderly friend of my parents and out of courtesy we called her Nan Melba.

She lived a few miles away, so a few days before Christmas we used to travel to her house to stay most of the day and deliver our presents to her.

"Arrrr me hearties," she would say welcoming us, "bring y'ar selves on board. Park y'ar backside on a barrel near the fire!"

As you may have guessed, she was a pirate. Although the eye patch she always wore may have been a quick give-away had you been there. She actually was a pirate in years gone by in a film they made in a small film studio nearby. She liked it so much that she decided to remain a pirate albeit she had never ever been to sea on account that she was terrified of the underneath of ships. She was worried in case the captain ever asked her to swim under the ship and remove the barnacles stuck there. 

Another thing ... because she was a devout vegetarian she did not have a parrot on her shoulder like pirates do. She had a carrot instead.

She used to sit by the fire smoking her pipe and opening our presents; mostly chocolate coins covered in gold or silver paper to make them look authentic. She used to count them and say, "pieces of eight ... pieces of eight ..." 

To be honest, I was more intrigued rather than frightened of this elderly pretend Nan pretending to be a pirate. One year, as we drove back home, I questioned my parents about the sanity of this woman whom we visit as a family once a year. I had by then grown up enough to reason in my mind why she would do that and to enquire of my parents as to her motivation.

"Oh ... she doesn't do that all the time!" said my father, "only at Christmas. The rest of the time, for instance I visited her once in the summer," he continued, "and she believed she was a Bishop!"

She wore some clerical vestments made from old blankets and table cloths and walked sideways just like bishops do on a chess board. She also insisted in speaking in Latin only; which made conversations with anyone rather short.

Apart from that, she was completely sane ... apparently.

In fact, she was a professor at the local college lecturing in graffiti and bad behaviour.

Nan Melba ... wherever you are ... may you bring joy to all around you!


27 comments:

  1. ..."grandmothers" don't need to be genetically related, love and nurturing is what is needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too true, Tom. This one was not related at all. We just visited her every so often.

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like she was happy to have visitors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A formidable woman with a beard. I think she used to dye it. Red one year, blue the next. Also ginger and even green to save the planet.

      God bless, Kathy.

      Delete
  3. I like Nan Melba, but it sure makes a dude wonder!
    Sherry & jack on this side, I never met a pirate I did not like! (In books)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was a vegetarian pirate with a liking for spinach with a sprinkling of olive oil.

      God bless you Jack and Sherry.

      Delete
  4. The anon is Sherry & jack over here... I keep forgetting. BUT I am glad at least we can still comment.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When Blogger says Anon, does it give you an option to "sign in" once more? It does that to me sometimes. I've already signed in, I have visited some other bloggers and commented OK in my name, then suddenly I visit someone and it stops me from commenting. I sign in again and it's OK.

      God bless you and thanx for commenting - even anonymously, Jack and Sherry.

      Delete
  5. Everyone needs a Nan Melba in their lives, pirate or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep ... I agree. You should have seen her swinging on a rope tied to a mast she erected in her garden.

      God bless, Linda.

      Delete
  6. "Had all ther shopping back on the shelf" :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to be helpful to old ladies, Bill.

      God bless.

      Delete
  7. Dearest Victor,
    It sure is nice to go and see the lonely, elderly in our surroundings at the dark days that precede Christmas.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  8. Genetically modified ... hahaha! Becoming a pirate in my old age sounds mighty intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try it, Mevely. It's so much fun and amusing. Just stitch a carrot on your shoulder and speak pirate, "ARRRR Me harties ... pieces of eight I tell thee ..."

      Have fun. Fun is good for the spirit. God bless you.

      Delete
  9. Now, that's one character I won't soon forget, Victor. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. She'd be worth visiting, she sounds most entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, it's true. Odd and entertaining in her own way.

      God bless, Mimi.

      Delete
  11. Whatever she was, she sure was a character. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed. A great person to know.

      God bless, Happyone

      Delete
  12. I wish more neighborhoods were filled with Nans, the world could use that uplifting spirit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Brian. What the world needs now is hope and joy.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  13. ... she sounds very entertaining :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazingly so. You should have seen her as a ballerina!

      God bless, Jan.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.