Sunday 19 February 2023

Officially Speaking

 

In Olden Days, (at the time of Abraham and Moses), I was one of the volunteers who stood at the church door on Sundays and welcomed people as they came in to Mass and gave them a hymn book and the weekly newsletter.

People still do this these days.

But I noticed that they now wear a lanyard round their neck with a badge saying "WELCOMER" (and their name).

This strikes me as odd. It says to me, "I am John, and it is my official duty to welcome you to church and to give you a hymn book and newsletter".

Let's face it, in our church we all know each other anyway. Very rarely does someone visit from another far off planet in another galaxy. And if they did, they would not care less if they are welcomed by someone with a badge or without one.

I dunno, maybe I'm too sensitive, or too observant, or too critical or ...

Anyway, so that you all know ...

This is Victor S E Moubarak welcoming you to this Blog. Please call again often and soon and invite others here too.

There ... I've said it.


19 comments:

  1. ...the welcome mat is always out at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Victor,
    Well said and it is very true. We sometimes do have visitors but they would not know anyone by name or without that is.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice to feel welcomed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome any time here, Bill. Invite your friends too.

      God bless.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful church!

    We have welcomers too, but we call them greeters. Do you have Walmart there? They also have greeters. 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't so much mind the greeters or welcomers; I just find it odd they need a badge to announce who they are. Can you imagine the disciples with name badges?

      God bless, Sandi.

      Delete
  5. Happy Sunday! -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. People love to feel welcomed when they enter a church, especially if they are a newcomer, Victor. And I always feel welcomed and entertained when I stop by your blog. :)
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoy visiting this Blog, Martha. I'm just off to buy a badge so everyone will recognise me when they visit here.

      God bless.

      Delete
  7. Before attending our present church, we never encountered an official Greeter -- badged or otherwise. It's nice to be welcomed with a smile, a hug even. But then our attendance usually numbers only 30-40. I've no idea how the idea of those badges started; perhaps an effort to make themselves feel important?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what puzzles me; why the badges? Our church attendance is about 300; mostly always the same people. Some are welcomers, readers, do the collection plate, and so on. The welcomers are the only ones with badges. Why?

      God bless, Mevely.

      Delete
  8. We have greeters at our church but our church is on the small side and we all know each other so no need for name tags. Guests are greeted with a friendly welcome. I remember the first time we walked into this church, it was like coming home. We've been going there ever since! :) Not just for the friendly people but it is a Bible believing church!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is nice to be welcomed and to feel at home.

      God bless, Happyone.

      Delete
  9. At our church they have the official title of "Greeter." Their job is to make sure everyone feels welcome, from old members to first time visitors.

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.