Friday 19 May 2023

What would you say?

 

This man goes to Heaven and knocks at the door. Saint Peter opens up and asks, "Yes? What do you want?"

The man says, "I want to go to Heaven!"

Saint Peter asks, "Why?"

The man responds, "Because I want to spend eternity with God."

Saint Peter replies, "And what makes you think God wants to spend eternity with you?"

Now let us consider for a moment that Saint Peter asks this question of you. What would you say?

Some might respond that God loves them, and that they have been redeemed by the blood of Jesus on the Cross, or that they are saved, or that they have done good works throughout their lives, or a variety of other reasons, (or excuses), as to why they are fit and worthy to enter Heaven. 

Most often, sadly, these are phrases that people have learnt by heart to explain/justify their faith in entering Paradise. Harsh criticism from me perhaps, but let's consider further.

In reality, why do you think you should go to Heaven for eternity?

"Not everyone who calls me 'Lord, Lord' will enter the Kingdom of Heaven, but only those who do what my Father in Heaven wants them to do." Matthew 7:21.

What does God, our Father in Heaven, wants us to do? Do we "earn" entry to Heaven or is it a free gift for us from God through Jesus?

The Bible is full of examples and instructions on what we should do; like helping others, being kind, generous to the poor, forgiving more than seven times, blah ... blah ... blah ...

But is this enough? There are many people who do not believe in God who are very kind, generous, forgiving and so on; much more so than some Christians I have known.

Surely they deserve to enter Heaven. 

Fortunately, the decision is not mine to make; nor yours. Only God decides who enters Heaven. And it could be that certain individuals deliberately exclude themselves from Heaven by their deliberate actions and obstinate beliefs.

"The Gates of hell are locked on the inside" C S Lewis. 

But for those hoping and wishing to enter Heaven, the same question applies. Why should they be allowed in? Why should you, or I, enter Heaven?

Having accepted that no one is really worthy to enter Heaven on their own merit, and that God desires that all of us should spend eternity with Him, then what distinguishes you, (or me), from any other good person wishing to enter? What have we done in life that distinguishes us from all those people who are excluded from Paradise?

Is it faith alone? Or good deeds too that God requires?

"My brothers and sisters, what good is it for people to say that they have faith if their actions do not prove it? Can that faith save them? Suppose there are brothers or sisters who need clothes and don't have enough to eat. What good is there in your saying to them, “God bless you! Keep warm and eat well!” — if you don't give them the necessities of life? So it is with faith: if it is alone and includes no actions, then it is dead." James 2:14-17.

So the question still arises: If you are sure you will get into Heaven; ask yourself WHY?

Stock phrases like "God loves me" and "I am saved" will really not do.

Points to ponder next time we carry out a self-examen.

30 comments:

  1. ...all of this is well, but I'll never say, gone fishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saint Peter was a fisherman ...

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
  2. A very compelling post!! Most thought provoking. Thank you! Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot think of any reason God would like for me to spend eternity with him!!! But I do appreciate his love...
    Good question
    Sherry & jack thinking's on this side

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good response, Jack. Thank you for this.

      God bless you and Sherry.

      Delete
  4. I think "I am saved" really does do it, Victor. There is no other way for me. That ship has sailed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I genuinely do not understand "I am saved", Sandi. Does it mean someone who is "saved" can behave badly all his life? Are we all going to Heaven because Christ saved us? If so, how about the two quotes above - Matthew 7:21 and James 2:14-17?

      God bless you.

      Delete
    2. "Does it mean someone who is "saved" can behave badly all his life?"

      No. People who are saved have a very difficult time behaving badly and can't keep it up for long.

      Delete
    3. Matthew 7:21- Some pretend to know Him.

      Delete
    4. James 2:14-17- You can tell someone knows the Lord by how they treat others.

      Delete
    5. Saved means I came to God in deep need. He is the Lord of my life now, my light, my director, if you will. He leads me. There is no other. I am forgiven. I am changed. I once was lost, but now I have been found. I am forgiven.

      Delete
    6. Thank you Sandi for taking the time to comment here. So many things we do not fully understand right now. I guess we should trust our Lord as best as we humanly can.

      God bless.

      Delete
  5. The long and short of it is, Victor, none of us deserve heaven, for all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. I do hope, when the end comes, the Father will find me worthy of being with Him for eternity.
    Blessings, and thanks for making us pause and reflect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I accept that none of us deserve Heaven by our own works; but then ... those two quotations from the Bible keep buzzing in my mind.

      God bless, Martha.

      Delete
  6. It's God's decision, all I can do is my best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Certainly "points to ponder" here Victor.
    But I do like Bills words "all I can do is my best"

    Wishing you a good weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree with Bill too.

      God bless, Jan. Best wishes.

      Delete
  8. I hope He would look into my heart and know I'm humbled, trying to be a better person.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are ALL sinners and none of us DESERVE to go to heaven.
    BUT God sent his son Jesus to take on the sin of the world and paid the price for our sin by dying on the cross and rising again on the third day. If we believe that, ask God for forgiveness, he will forgive us and he promises us we will go to heaven when we die. It's a free gift to those who believe and have accepted him as their Savior. He saves us from hell. We don't have to hope we are going to heaven but can KNOW because God has promised.
    Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, THOU SHALT BE SAVED.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree with most of what you say. The last quotation from Romans implies that the onus is on us; "If ... ... ..." I agree with that and it tallies with the two quotations in my article. We should do something first. If we believe ... if we ask for forgiveness ... if we confess ...

      There are those, however, who say we are all "saved"; leaving the onus on God. This implies that those who are not "saved" can wash their hands and say they are unfortunate not to have been chosen. I don't accept that. There are people who deliberately walk away from God.

      God bless, Happyone.

      Delete
    2. I believe we make a choice to be saved, if we don't chose to follow Jesus then the alternative is hell.

      Delete
  10. Thank you for the thought-provoking post. I will be pondering on it for quite some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanx Kathy for your kind comment.

      God bless.

      Delete
  11. Jesus said He was going to prepare a place for us, and promised if He went to do that, He would come again and receive us unto Himself. I don't deserve it, He deserves the reward of those for whom He died getting to be with Him always.

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.