Friday 12 May 2023

In my ignorance

 

Lord, in my ignorance I trust you. In my innocence I trust you.

There is so much we do not know about God. We all have our own idea or imagination of Who or what God is. But in reality, we are so far off the mark in our knowledge or beliefs.

Some see God as an omnipotent all-powerful and an all-knowing living Deity Who has created all and everything and has always existed. That much is true.

Others see Him as a King Who begrudgingly tolerates us and punishes us if we step out of line.

Whereas others see Him as partially revealing His existence and power to only a few chosen learned souls whilst the rest of us are left fumbling in the darkness of our lack of knowledge.

In reality, there is much we do not know about God.

Jesus said to Thomas, "If you know me, you will know my Father also. From now on you do know Him and have seen Him." John 14:1-12

And then Jesus says to Philip, "Whoever has seen me has seen the Father ... Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me?" 

What Jesus is trying to explain here is that God is a Spirit. Jesus too is a Spirit who has always existed. He did not begin to exist when He was born as a baby on earth. He always existed.

Jesus and God, and the Holy Spirit are one. The Holy Trinity. Jesus is explaining here that if you have seen Him, (the Spirit incarnate), then you have seen the Father.

The disciples do not understand this until Pentecost, when they receive the Holy Spirit.

Christ's disciples and followers were fortunate in that they saw Jesus in the flesh. They witnessed His power and heard Him describe God, His Father and ours, as a loving and caring God.

But many years later, we, us, living today, mostly have the Scriptures and faith on which to base our beliefs. A few, very fortunate ones amongst us, have indeed met and known God and His Son in very real terms. Not a figure of speech; but in reality.

But for most of us, we rely on pure faith and trust in our beliefs and knowledge of God.

After the Resurrection, Jesus appeared to His disciples and said to Thomas, "Because you have seen Me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." John 20:29

Whenever we have doubts and confusion, our prayer should be, "Lord, in my ignorance I trust you. In my innocence I trust you."

22 comments:

  1. ...perhaps, but I wish that there weren't so many ignorant people running around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone has a right to be ignorant. The problem is that many abuse that right.

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
  2. YES, so many questions in the human mind about God. We can only think in human terms. I smiled outside and inside at my youngest son. The subject came up about the confusion of gender in our world today. Son says, "Yes, there are folks saying that God is not a man!" I didn't say anything to try to correct his thinking that God is a Spirit, he is GOD! It gets confusing to try to explain that God is referred to as the 'Father and HE,' because he is the CREATOR the Father of it ALL!

    Anyway again a very good topic..
    Love sent from this side....
    Sherry & jack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jack; over here too - people are talking about gender and the Church of England are considering alternatives to calling God "He".

      I wrote about it in February:

      http://timeforreflections.blogspot.com/2023/02/who-or-what-is-god.html

      The fact remains, whilst God is a Spirit, He chose to refer to Himself as "He". Christ always called Him "Father" and He referred to the Holy Spirit in the masculine too. We should at least pay Him the courtesy of referring to Him in the masculine and not invent new titles to suit our modern needs.

      God bless.

      Delete
  3. Ever and always, we need to trust in the Lord.
    Blessings, Victor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a splendid prayer suggestion! I'm copying it to include in my morning devotional. Praying you enjoy a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Mevely. Best wishes always.

      God bless you and yours.

      Delete
  5. I like the suggestion too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Proverbs 3:5
    Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding

    ReplyDelete
  7. thecontemplativecat here. Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits, who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy, who satisfies you with good so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s (Psalm 103:1-5, ESV). God has provided and continues to provide in all ways. I am so blessed and in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very true. I believe, help my unbelief.

    ReplyDelete
  9. But for most of us, we rely on pure faith and trust in our beliefs and knowledge of God." These words to me are so true and I fine that this probably apples most to me. I do the best I can and I rely on God 's aid. What a wonderful post! Thank you! Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Cathy, most of us just rely on blind faith for our beliefs; And God will surely reward such faith.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  10. the key word is trust. yes, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. thecontemplativecat here. Bless the Lord, oh my soul, and all that is within me, bless His Holy Name.. Psalms 103:1

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.