Monday 2 October 2023

Art Series - Monet Manet

 

MIMI, a regular visitor here, has asked me to research and write about Monet. You can read Mimi's Blog HERE.

Monet Manet ... Monet Manet ... let us not confuse the two. They are both French painters. 

 Oscar-Claude Monet; 14 November 1840 – 5 December 1926) was a French painter and founder of impressionist painting. 

Now I always thought that being an impressionist meant doing impressions, like bird impressions. My cousin used to do bird impressions; she used to eat worms. Fortunately she did not try to do the impressions birds do on my car.

Monet was an impressionist painter. The painting above is called Impression, Sunrise, exhibited in his first exhibition in 1874. I don't know about you, but it gives me the impression that he has bought too much blue/gray paint. 

Édouard Manet; 23 January 1832 – 30 April 1883) was a French modernist painter. He was one of the first 19th-century artists to paint modern life, whatever that was in his period of time.

As you can see from the dates they were both contemporaries. Do I care about that? Not so much.

Anyway, my research led me to discover another coincidence about these two guys.

Manet (that's the one with an A in his name) painted a painting called "Le Déjeuner sur l'herbe", also known as "The Luncheon on the Grass".

It depicts a naked lady having a picnic with two fully dressed men, whilst another half naked woman is having a wash in the river in the background.

Now my concern here is ants. What if there are any ants lurking in the grass where that woman is sitting? And what about the men? What are they talking about totally unperturbed by the naked lady next to them?

My research discovered that Manet's wife Suzanne Leenhoff posed for the naked woman, although the face on the painting is that of another model. Stranger still, the men sitting beside her are Manet's brother Gustave, and his brother-in-law Ferdinand Leenhoff.

There you have it ... a picnic on the grass and not a KFC in sight.

Not to be outdone, Monet (that's the one with an O in his name), also painted his version of "Le Déjeuner sur l'herbe", in response to Manet's attempts at a picnic. It remains unfinished.

As you can see, again two men and two women, (or three if you count the unfinished one on the left), but all fully clothed and respectable. 

The only similarity between the two paintings is that there is no KFC in sight.

Suggestions for further art works to be researched by me and included in this Art Series are welcomed.

16 comments:

  1. ...some of Monet's work I love and some I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was doing a crossword puzzle once, and used Monet in response to one of the clues. The answer was actually Manet, which completely confused my grid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You say Monet, I say Manet, you say tomato, I say tomahto ...

      God bless, Kathy.

      Delete
  3. Little wonder, I prefer Monet's work. That first image reminds me of a dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find the first image confusing too. Two boats out at sea and someone has kicked a basket ball in the sky. Very confusing.

      God bless, Mevely.

      Delete
  4. How about tackling Picasso?
    Blessings, Victor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll research his work and write about it soon, Martha. Two more artists in the queue for this week ... Michelangelo and Da Vinci.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  5. Yeah I need a spelling lesson, or it is really I need a reading lesson but it is probably an art appreciation lesson.. Who knows???
    I enjoy the ancient paintings, but most times do not understand what makes them special and or so valuable. I see some great art put out in an hour by artists, and wish I were that talented.
    Forget it, I enjoyed the read and smiles.
    Love from this side.
    Sherry & jack just here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too do not understand why people pay large sums of money for some paintings. They say they are unique; but then, every painting is unique, by any artist. I just painted the garden gate. It is unique. Will they take it to display in an arts gallery? No they took the fence instead. I take offence at that.

      God bless, Jack and Sherry.

      Delete
  6. I bet people get confused about Monet and Manet and think the could be related.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if they both made money out of their paintings.

      God bless, Bill.

      Delete
  7. thecontemplativecat here. have not been reading posts, hand surgery and pain. pain. oh my. Your soite is teh 2nd one I have visited. cillectors are interesting people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's nice to see you here, Susan. Thanx. Praying for your quick and complete healing.

      God bless.

      Delete
  8. Monet (the one with the "O") is one of my favorite painters ever. Thank you for featuring him, and yes, he did use a lot of blue and gray paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Mimi. He bought a lot of surplus paint at a cheap price and kept it in the garage.

      God bless.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.