Monday 30 October 2023

Halloween

 

I was in France many years ago when I was young. I stayed at an auberge in Paris just by the river. For those who don't know, an auberge is not a large aubergine; it is a small hotel with a pub and restaurant all in one. I remember a man had drunk so much that he fell into the river. He was in Seine!

Anyway, back to my story. That night as I lay in bed in my small auberge room I heard a noise. I sat up and a frisson went down my spine - I guess in London it would have been a shudder. I ran towards the door to reach the communal bathroom and I tripped on something on my way out.

It was a ghost. Not a small ghost, but the ghost of a fully grown small man. He told me, in French, that his name was Too Loose LeTrick. 

I'd never met a French speaking ghost. I always assumed they spoke in English. Although as I recall, a friend of mine said he met an Italian speaking ghost when communicating on a Luigi Board once. All he got from him was a recipe for pasta.

Back to my story. The French ghost, Too Loose Le Trick, told me that when he was alive he had studied to be a doctor, but he was so short he could not see above his patients' knees. So he became a chiropodist instead. 

I was very frightened at seeing such an apparition, small as it was, and I was desperate to go to the bathroom. I must have cried a little because I felt tears trickling down my leg. 

He was polite and tried to communicate in English. "Are you zee frightened monsieur?" he asked.

"Oui ... un peu ... a little" I mumbled.

"Moi aussi ..." he said, "me too ... I am zee afraid of my wife ... Madame Penoir. She eez zee big monster all zee ways complaining." 

At this point a clock somewhere struck 10:35pm.

"Oh ... I must go to my wife," he said. "she gets veree upset when I am zee late! I tell her zat I am haunting tourists in old auberges; but she eez not believing me. She says she can see right through me!"

And with that he vanished.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN

12 comments:

  1. ...have a spooktacular day, Victor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too Loose Le Trick .... hahaha!
    This video is such fun, but I must admit, I'm envious of those skeleton's dance moves. Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased you enjoyed this Halloween offering, Mevely. Have a great time.

      God bless.

      Delete
  3. The ghost's name is so clever, Victor. That his wife can see right through him is no surprise to me!
    Blessings, my friend, and Happy All Hallow's Eve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the ghost was related to a post impressionist painter and decorator from the late 19th Century. He was short too and painted the knees of can can dancers.

      See: https://timeforreflections.blogspot.com/2016/10/on-reflection-zut-alors.html

      God bless, Martha.

      Delete
  4. And all the time I thought it was you that fell into the river!. But maybe you regress.
    I enjoyed the Dancing.... I joined in...
    From over this way
    Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed the dancing, Jack. More dancing on the link above on Martha's comment response.

      God bless you and Sherry.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the laughs. Love the video.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a most hauntingly entertaining tale!

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.