Saturday 14 October 2023

Bak 2 Basix

 

We really need to go back to basics. We need to teach how to count. If I have four pencils in one hand and three in another then I will have seven in all.

Saying 4+3 =7 does not make any sense unless you understand what the symbols mean; any more than saying 9+3 = 12 or 6+6 = 12. 

In the same way we need to teach that C A T is a cat. Otherwise it might as well be an elephant, a rhinoceros or anything else you wish it to be. We must teach the sound the letters C A and T make.

Instead, we rely on calculators and spell-check and predictive text. I might as well be eating locusts and wild honey and dress in camel hair for all the good it will do.

There's a lot of people who do not know the basics of Maths like mental multiplications, divisions, decimals, fractions and percentages. Did you know that 9 out of 7 people cannot work out fractions and decimal points; that's at least 50% of them.

It's the same with literacy. Most people no longer read books and I am left as the only one buying the ones I write. 

Likewise, we need to teach who Jesus is, the Apostles, the Holy Spirit and the basics of Christianity, as well as other religions and beliefs. 

There's a whole new generation out there who may have heard of God, but don't really know Who He is.

Whoever denies me before men, I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven
(Matthew 10:33)

16 comments:

  1. ...the way they teach math today makes my head swim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You told the truth when you said:
    There's a whole new generation out there who may have heard of God, but don't really know Who He is.......
    Sherry & I were just talking about that yesterday. It is amazing to those of us who grew up with ALL the great stories in the Bible, that today names like Paul, Peter and David mean no more than names....
    Love sent from this side
    Sherry & jack the sun is out here in Florida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Religion, and a lot of other educations, are sadly lacking these days, Jack and Sherry. And then we wonder why the world is in such a bad state.

      God bless you and yours.

      Delete
  3. Good morning Victor: The children today use so many instruments and not their brains to calculate add or any other brain activity, it saddens me to think what the next generation is facing with the way education is going.
    the young people nowadays read from a hand held instrument, I like the feel and smell of a book in my hands.
    I am an avid reader, just finished one of your books, am ready to buy more, I loved the Priest and Prostitute, great book, kept me reading, wanting more.
    Great post Victor.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Catherine. How kind of you to take the time to write in and tell me you enjoyed reading "The Priest and Prostitute". It's when I receive comments such as yours that I am encouraged in my writings.

      Yes, sadly these days the basics of a proper education are not as they used to be.

      God bless you always.

      Delete
  4. I mean no offense -- but if religious scholars and clergy were to make Christianity more interesting/more applicable, that would be a good start. Pardon if I'm repeating myself, but I wish I'd found your blog (and books) a long time ago. I'm not proud of it but find parts of the Bible boring. Thank you for bringing His story to life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all, thank you for your kindness and generous comment to me, Mevely. You have been a good friend and encourager of my writings. I try my best to explain the Bible as I understand it. I guess ... as it was explained to me by one or two good priests I met many years ago when I was young.

      Yes, I totally agree. Some bits of the Bible are boring. Especially the Old Testament. This is because the Bible is a collection of writings from many people over different periods of time, each with their own style of writing. They were writing to people of their time, who would have understood them, and their idioms and way of saying things. I'm certain that some meanings have been lost in translation over the years.

      And I also totally agree that some priests and scholars make Christianity boring. Often in church our priests just repeat what we've read in the Gospel and do not add any meanings or how the message applies to today's society. Many priests just read a pre-prepared sermon the aim of which is to send people to sleep. They might as well post a copy on the church website for all the good they do.

      Often I leave church not remembering what the sermon was about. For a period, I surreptitiously asked friends and relatives what the sermon was about, just in case it was just me not paying attention. Sadly (gladly) they too had not been listening.

      And that's our modern church in my part of the world.

      Thanx again, Mevely, for your loyal friendship.

      Delete
  5. We really have gotten off track as a culture and society, Victor. We need God more than ever!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Martha. Society is deliberately distancing itself from God. And God says: OK ... your will be done!

      God bless always.

      Delete
  6. The further we get away from God the worse things get.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Math is very important, without it you won't know how much to pay the housekeeper (and I'm a housekeeper).

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.