Saturday 28 October 2023

Would you Adam and Eve it?

 

There they were, Adam and Eve going around happily in the Garden of Eden totally naked and not worrying about anything, except perhaps getting too close to the cactus, or standing near a hot radiator or oven.

They were enjoying their nakedness when one day they met a snake!

Now I don't know about you, but if I were naked and met a snake I'd quickly cover up my bits in case he took a bite.  

If the snake actually talked to me ... well ... I'd probably poop in my non-existing pants rather than engage in conversation with him.

Anyway ... what I don't understand is, after they ate the forbidden fruit, how did Adam and Eve know which are the naughty bits they should cover?

Why not cover their knees for instance? Or their elbows?

Can you imagine? If they'd covered their knees instead; today we'd all be going around naked wearing our underpants down on our knees!

As you know, they did not in fact eat from an apple tree. Nowhere in the story does it say what tree it was. It could have been a mango tree, or figs, or a variety of other fruit trees. All it says is that it was a fruit tree.

What if it was a broccoli? The whole course of human history would have been different because I doubt they'd been tempted.

Adam and Eve ate from the forbidden tree and committed their first sin.

Now a lot of us consider this to be the sin of disobedience; which in fact it was. But this is not the most serious sin which they committed.

Their major sin was that they wanted to be like God. That's what the snake (devil) had fooled them into believing. They will be like God. They will know good from bad.

To some extent that's what happened. They got to know good from bad, right from wrong, and suffered the consequences.

I suspect that these days there are many who do not really know right from wrong; or choose not to care.

That's how Adam and Eve's story affects us in our lives.

How often do we also try to act like gods? And want things our way?

If only I could get that job, or that promotion at work, or get so and so to love me, or ... 

We just tell God what we want and expect Him to obey us. 

It's amazing how many people serve God in an advisory capacity. 

We just tell Him, what we want Him to do for us. Rather than trust Him to know better.

20 comments:

  1. Oh, this was so good, Victor! Such interesting "food for thought" this morning! Adam and Eve sure messed things up for us. Just think, we could still be running around in the garden naked and not even have a care in the world! Except for that bee...but maybe in that original garden bees would never sting, snakes wouldn't bite, you know? And we'd all love broccoli! And there would not be a war going on in Israel right now, nor would we have mass shooters killing innocent people in bowling alleys. Then again, we probably wouldn't have the internet to share these stories and get to know each other across the pond! It's hard for us to imagine such a perfect world, but hold on to your loin cloth! We are destined for heaven, where it will be a perfect "world" finally. I do hope we will at least have a tunic or something to wear, however. LOL. Have a blessed and wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed today's offering Pamela. Thank you for writing to tell me about it.

      Indeed, the world would have been a different place if it was not for sins.

      I'm glad we met on the Internet and, as for Heaven and what we'll wear there ... I wrote about that some years ago ... here:

      https://timeforreflections.blogspot.com/2018/09/at-heavens-gate.html

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. ...I have a few cactus and have learned to be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, we all know you are crazy, or at least touched a bit. However thru it all you, Thanks to Father I, you still come up with some good thoughts and great advice......
    Sherry & jack over here getting along...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is, Jack; we had two choices. To sin, like Adam and Eve did, and see where that got us in the world today. Or not to sin and go around naked.

      Which would we prefer?

      God bless you and Sherry.

      Delete
  4. Sin steers us away from where we need to be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Pam, this is SO good! You had me from giggling ("xxx in my non-existent pants) to thoughtful reflection. An advisory capacity, indeed!

    For what it's worth, I love broccoli.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem is, Mevely, that many people seem to control God as their personal magician or genie. To be told all our wants and expect Him to obey our commands.

      That's what Adam and Eve tried to do; and many others do these days.

      So glad you enjoyed my interpretation of it.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  6. We may not know exactly what fruit they ate, but that they were tempted and succumbed against God's will? Therein lies the rub.
    Great reflection, Victor!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Contentment is listening to, and always following, God's will. Easy to say, but not so easy to do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have an interesting way of telling a Bible story.... (smile). But with that said, I think you got it right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara. It's nice to see you here.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  9. thecontemplativecat here
    we just spent 90 min. at a stage presentation of C.S. Lewis by Max McLean "Further up and further in". Reminded me why I love the books as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan. It's great to see you here again. I hope you are keeping well.

      God bless .

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.