Friday 13 October 2023

Leave me alone


I sometimes wish people would leave me alone. There I was the other day, alone at home as the family went away for the weekend. I was reading the newspaper in the bath when the door bell rang. The dog barked and ran all over the house to warn me. I ignored it. The door bell rang again ... and again ... it was persistent. I thought it was an emergency.

I got out and opened the door. It was an Estates Agent wondering whether I wished to sell my house. "We are selling other desirable properties in this area," he said, "and yours is the kind our clients would like to purchase. Have you thought of selling?"

Now, let's face it. Selling one's property is not a decision one makes on the spur of the moment dripping wet from a bath and covered with a towel. Not that I was in that lack of attire, I might add. I had taken the precaution to dry myself thoroughly and get dressed in my best three-piece suit. If this was an emergency, I thought, I might as well be well dressed for it.

Unlike the time when I was a door-to-door salesman selling doors and people used to open their front door in all stages of undress. Read about it HERE.   

Did this Estate Agent really think he'd make a sale? That I would suddenly decide to hire him to sell my house?

The other day I was in the front garden watering the roses when a man stopped and asked me if I wanted to sell my car? Again, what a stupid suggestion. Do people make such decisions on impulse?

And it's not just people ... animals too. As I was going to get my daily newspaper yesterday there was a snail on our doorstep. (Is a snail an animal or an insect or a mollusc?)

In order to save him from being trodden on and killed, I picked him up and threw him in the bushes.

An hour later the front door bell rang. I opened it and the snail said, "What's the big idea throwing me in the bush?"

20 comments:

  1. Gotta love those salesmen and Snails..... I am proud you have such an ability, conversing with snails........ however....
    Have a great day on that side.
    Sherry & jack thanks for the prayers, Our minds are minding some, but still have aways to go....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll continue to pray for you and your situation, Jack and Sherry. Trust in God. He will bless you always.

      Delete
  2. Believe it or not, we get messages on our phones almost every day asking if we'd like to sell our house. It's all because we had to sell my mother's house and Danny's mother's after they passed. Why these folks think we'd want to sell ours is beyond me. You should have stayed in the bath, Victor!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What worries me, Martha, is that the door bell always rings when I'm in the bath. Is someone watching me with binoculars and they know when to ring the door bell? What if I have a shower instead? Will that help? Or will they see the tattoo where they shouldn't?

      God bless you.

      Delete

  3. Those real estate agents are a waste of time and a bunch of aggravation. If I want to sell maybe I give you a call, :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. They think we're all sitting there waiting for them to call us so we can sell our houses.

      God bless, Bill.

      Delete
  4. YES. Good question! What is a snail?? 🐌

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...Victor, I enjoy time for myself. Every day I get robocalls, they drive me nutty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are robocalls phone calls made by robots? We're getting those over here too. I leave the answering machine on to take all my calls now.

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
  6. There's probably a purpose for door-to-door salespeople, but for the life of me I can't understand what it is. I won't answer the phone if it's an unfamiliar number. Unfortunately, however, the same can't be said about our front door with a see-through glass pane and yappy dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our area is marked "No Door-to-Door Callers" so strictly speaking these people are breaking the law as per Local Authority Regulations. But they still do it. They still come knocking, or ringing the bell, hoping for a sale. I honestly cannot think that anyone would suddenly decide to sell their home because someone knocked at their door.

      I too don't answer the phone any more, and leave it to the answering machine if I don't know who's calling.

      We also get charities knocking at the door asking for money. I feel this is intimidating and always say (lie) that I give direct on the Internet by bank transfer. Some charities I don't even like or support; so why should I donate, (or lie) to them.

      Then I have to go to the priest and confess my lies, (joke).

      God bless, Mevely.

      Delete
  7. You asked 'Is a snail an animal or an insect or a mollusc?'

    I thought what a good question, I'll look it up.
    Guess what! I found out there is a lot more about snails than I first thought!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snail

    Enjoy the rest of your Friday and have a good weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx for the link, Jan. Very informative. My next question is do we eat them with garlic sauce or béarnaise sauce? Somehow, I cannot imagine eating them although I have eaten mussels - but not oysters.

      God bless.

      Delete
  8. When I don't want anyone to bother me I go for a walk. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this. So funny. We really don't get many door to door salespeople anymore these days, thankfully. I used to be a Fuller Brush Salesperson and people weren't always kind, but thankfully they were dressed. LOL. The snail should have thanked you for saving his life. LOL. Have a lovely day. So, do you want to sell your house???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was involved in politics years ago, going from house to house delivering leaflets and meeting voters, there were occasions when people opened the door in various state of undress.

      I'm glad you enjoyed this post, Pamela. We still get door-to-door traders around here, including snails selling garlic sauce.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  10. Salesmen are not permitted in our neighborhood, nor saleswomen. I make an exception if the children are selling candy or cookies, or lemonade.

    If they want to sell my house, they have to wait until I'm done living in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our area too prohibits salesmen from calling - but they do.

      God bless, Mimi.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.