Sunday 15 January 2023

Listen Carefully - This is for you

 

Sometimes in history someone says something so important, a politician maybe or other eminent person, that what is said becomes imprinted and quoted over the years by many future generations.

How much more important, do you think, and how much more relevant to us here today, is something that Jesus said all those years ago?

"If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." Matthew 21:22

"When you pray and ask for something, believe that you have received it, and you will be given whatever you ask for." Mark 11:24

"And I will do whatever you ask for in My name, so that the Father's glory will be shown through the Son. If you ask me for anything in My name, I will do it." John 14:13-14

Let us read these words again and meditate on them. They are not just throw-away lines, slogans or newspaper headlines from a politician or other celebrities.

These are the words of our Lord Jesus. They were spoken solemnly and are recorded here by three different writers.

They were not just spoken to His disciples at the time. They are not the only privileged people to hear these promises. If it were so, Jesus would have said them in secret and they would not have been recorded in the gospels. 

These words, these promises, are meant for everyone - yes, you and me. Jesus was serious when He made them. He would not have said them otherwise. Let us reflects for a moment on the immensity of His words.

When we pray, do we really believe that we will receive what we ask for? 

When we ask God for something, do we ever say, "In the name of Jesus, I ask you God please ... ... ..."?

Or do we rattle a long list of demands in the hope that God is listening and He will respond straight-away?

Unless we truly believe what Jesus has promised us, there is no point in praying at all.

27 comments:

  1. Thank you, Victor. I am reading this message just when I need it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Victor,
    Yes, so very true and it has been proven over and over again!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Comforting words! As are my son's favorite: "Seek and ye shall find ... and the door will be opened." Sometimes I'm prone to add, "This or something better."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Comforting and astounding words, Mevely. Can you imagine? Ask in my name and you will receive.

      God bless you and yours.

      Delete
  4. Amen, Victor! So very true.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank God for answered prayers and sometimes when He doesn't give us what we ask for. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen Happyone. God does answer our prayers.

      God bless.

      Delete
  6. I hope you've had a blessed Sunday.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. He listens, He answers, and if i ask something that isn't really good for me, i can trust that He will answer my deeper prayer, not just my words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Victor, you are not going to believe this (but I think you will). For some time now I have been waiting for something I have prayed for to come to pass. Every morning I open my Bible read the scripture on that particular page.. This morning I opened up to Mark ch. 12 vs. 22 - 26, which I have underlined. It speaks about believing and you shall receive. The scripture ' Faith is the substance of things hoped for' came to my mind.' I believe absolutely that what I have asked for will come to pass, and what has happened today regarding those words the Lord has spoken to me in the scripture in Mark that I underlined some time ago going together with the scripture you shared in your post has totally increased my faith in the Lord answering my prayer. Faith is the substance of things hoped for, and there is always a time for everything. God bless you Victor..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry Victor, it was Mark 11, not 12 that I opened up to - just checked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing this, Brenda. And also your quotation from Hebrews 11 underlines that we must have faith in what we believe. Praying for you.

      God bless.

      Delete
  10. Mark Ch. 11 Victor, not Hebrews ch. 11. Looks like we are all prone to making mistakes eh! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Faith is the substance of things hoped for" is from Hebrews 11. I was there when Paul wrote it. I helped him with the spelling of the word substance.

      God bless.

      Delete
  11. Just realized I think you was talking about the scripture about faith.

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.