Tuesday 14 November 2023

Potatoes Have Eyes

 

Potatoes have eyes, but they cannot see. Those little white sprouts on the potato that look like roots are called eyes, and can be used to plant a new potato.

Bats have eyes but they have poor vision. This is because they are nocturnal and they live in caves, (like Batman). So their eyes have adapted to the darkness of the cave. If they were to go out at night the brightness of the moon would be like a flash from a camera to them. They'd need sunglasses, or moonglasses! These are expensive to make for bats and they'd fall off and break as they hung upside down from trees.

So over the years the bats have adapted through evolution and their eyes are suitable to see when in the caves but they use their ears, (sound/sonar) for guidance when out flying at night.

Deep under the sea it is very dark. So how do fish see and not bump into each other? Glasses are of no use to them because they'd get wet and you can't see through wet lenses.

Like bats, their eyes have evolved to detect a lower number of photons (bits of light) so they see the darkness as light. If you were to lift a fish from deep down up to the surface the chances are it will be in agony and go blind because of the light up here on the surface. More photons per square metre than deep down in the sea. So, unlike bats, these fishes have decided to stay at the bottom of the sea and not come up to the surface or hang upside down from trees.

And whilst we're talking about water; did you know that humans cannot feel wet? We can't feel the sensation wet. If you blindfold someone and give him two sets of clothing, one wet/damp and one cold he could not tell the difference by touch. (Not wringing or squeezing - just touching). The human skin can feel cold and hot. Not wet. Admittedly if you put your hand in a bowl of water you'll feel it - but this is feeling the existence of water not feeling the wetness. And if someone's asleep and you put his hand in a bowl of water he'll feel wet - but that's different.

And finally ... we've talked about darkness here - in caves as well as deep in the bottom of the sea. But in reality, there is no such thing as darkness. Darkness is the absence of light. Remember that next time you stub your toe against something in the dark; or you fall over on the way home at night from the pub.

“I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life.” John 8:12

NOTE: If there is anything else scientific, or religious, you wish me to explore and write about here then please let me know.

20 comments:

  1. ...and I have two eyes and I see better with the right one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people have one eye better than the other.

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
  2. I hope to never catch a fish --and suffer the consequences of its agony and subsequent blindness!
    Never forget all God's creatures, great and small.

    Still giggling at the thought of putting someone's hand in water. Now, if you'll excuse me.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all true, Mevely. Deep sea fish remain down deep where they have adapted to be able to see at that level of low light. Their instinct stops them from getting up any higher near the surface of the water.

      Also, it's true that the human sense of touch cannot tell the difference between damp and cold.

      Glad I made you smile. God bless.

      Delete
  3. I'd never thought about not feeling wet when we touch water, Victor. Are you sure about that? I'm so grateful for my ability to see the world around me. Thank the Lord for creating the light and the Light!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Martha I am sure. The human sense of touch cannot "feel" wetness. We feel something running through our fingers which we identify as water, or other liquid like beer, wine etc. We do not feel the wet feeling. Try the clothes experiment with eyes closed. Just touch, (not squeeze or wring). You can't tell between damp and cold.

      God bless you always.

      Delete
  4. Interesting about touching water and not feeling wet. I never heard that before but you are correct according to google.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows more? Google or me? I asked that question of Google.

      God bless, Bill.

      Delete
  5. Goodness me! I'd never given it a thought about not feeling wet when we touch water, well I never!
    An interesting read Victor, thank you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting about the feeling wet or cold. When I have clothes hung out on the line drying when it's cold out, I can't tell if they are dry or still damp. Have to bring them inside to warm up. :

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Happyone. You've proved my point. The human sense of touch cannot feel wetness.

      God bless.

      Delete
  7. And water isn't wet, it gets things wet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I argued with a preacher once who said there was no such thing as darkness. You must go down the 6th deck down on a Carrier and spin the door lock, You will then KNOW DARKNESS. LOL
    Thanks for the science lesson on BAts and Fish. I will use it on the next discussion I have with friends. LOL
    Love from this side. Take care
    Sherry & jack busy....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Jack. There is not darkness. Darkness is a state of being when there's absence of light. Both physically, and spiritually.

      God bless you and Sherry always.

      Delete
  9. Wow, this was great!! I like to watch the bats fly around over our pond in the evening just after the sun goes down. They dart back and forth, catching bugs/mosquitoes and having their dinner! I guess they can't really see me very well standing there watching, so I'd better stay out of their way. I sure don't want them to bump into me! Yes, darkness is the absence of light...Jesus, the Light of the World. Without Him we would be in eternal darkness. No thank you! God bless you and thank you for your interesting posts. Always makes me think and smile at the same time, which sometimes takes some real thought! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to see you here again, Pamela.

      If you stand still the bats will not bump into you. Because they use sonar (sound waves) they will see (hear) you as a solid object, just like a tree or other solids like a wall etc ... So they will not bump into you. You've never seen them bump into a tree (like I do when walking and looking at my cell phone). They will avoid you, and trees and so on, because bats do not fly and look at cell-phones at the same time.

      I'm glad you enjoy my posts. Don't hesitate to raise any subject you wish me to research and write about. My e-mail is at the top right in "Contact us".

      Christ is indeed the Light of the World. May He bless you and yours always.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.