Tuesday 21 November 2023

The Jogger

 


Well I've been a trucker more than twenty yearsFrom the Charleston coast to the Jersey piersSharin' the road with race car nuts and loggersSunday drivers scouts on hikes Hells Angels on Harley bikesI never met a roader I didn't like cept them joggers
 
One day I'm rollin' down 1-0-1I got 18 wheels under 14-tonsRadio playin' a good ol' country rockerThe day was sure a trucker's dreamThe sky was sunny and the air was cleanWhen up ahead on the road I seen one of them joggers
 
He was dressed like they do in baby blueWith shortie shorts and a headband tooI yelled Sweetie I bet that you are the hit of the men's room lockerBut I'm a runnin' late with an overloadSo get your Adidas off a this roadI'm LA bound and I don't slow down for dead raccoons or joggers
 
Well without breakin' stride or losin' poiseHe said you and that rig sure make some noiseBut I can't talk now cause I'm racin' against the clockerBut it's just nine miles to Forkers LeapAnd if you ain't afraid to race that heapWe'll see how that ol' rig holds up against a super jogger
 
Race I must be hearin' wrongThe boy's been runnin' in the sun too longThe only place he's racin' to is a doctor'sBut before I could say thank you noThat fool yells ready get set goAnd the race is on we're off and gone me and that maniac jogger
 
Well I could've left him far behindBut I played with him like a fish on a lineAnd I stayed about a half a mile behind that suckerThen I pushed her up to forty-fiveAnd he sees me comin' and he starts to flySo I pushed her to sixty and shift to high and finally catch that joggerAnd it wasn't easy
 
Now I'm doin' eighty and I turned to checkAnd he's stayin' right with me neck in neckHis hearts a thumpin' like my engine goin' pop pop pockerThen he yells out I hope you're setCause I ain't shifted into second yetThen he unwinds and leaves me behind eaten the dust of a jogger
 
Then I see him joggin' up into the skyAnd he yells hey thanks for the exerciseI hope that losin' this race was not too shockin'Ya see my dad says heaven's no place to runAnd I try to be an obedient sonSo I have to come down to earth to do my joggin'
 
Well that's my story take it or leave itMy trucker buddies they believe itSo do those race car nuts and Harley hoggersAnd I'm still drivin' much the sameCept I don't call nobody namesAnd I tip my hat each time I pass one of them good old joggers
 
Hey here comes one now... Hey good buddyHow ya doin?Want some gatorade?

22 comments:

  1. ...I haven't listened to Bobby Bare in years, thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Bobby Bare; a lot of his songs have a story or a moral to them - like The Winner.

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
  2. What a unique song with a great lesson, Victor. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One never knows when we'd meet an Angel ... jogging.

      God bless, Martha.

      Delete
  3. I'd not heard this before! Pearls of wisdom, cloaked in a funny song. I believe those singers are right: "There are angels among us, sent down to us from somewhere up above."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bobby Bare is one of my favourite Country singers because of his stories in song. Indeed, Angels can be joggers too.

      God bless, Mevely.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing this new singer to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look him up on You Tube, Bill. You'll enjoy his songs.

      God bless.

      Delete
  5. Smiling ain't jogging, BUT for me it is BIKERS who do not know that CARS are heavy and can hurt you!
    Thanks for the lyrics...
    Sherry & jack Trying to smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, Jack. When driving I'm really scared of cyclists and bikers driving carelessly.

      God bless you and Sherry.

      Delete
    2. PS back after doing some work. Never heard this one by Bobby. It must have hit the air waves whilist I was out at sea. LOL

      Delete
    3. The song was a hit in the USA for Bobby Bare in 1983.

      God bless, Jack and Sherry.

      Delete
  6. thecontemplativecat here. I will have to check
    Bobby. My generation watched all "Smokey and the Bandit" movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, check Bobby Bare on You Tube. You'll like his songs.

      God bless, Susan.

      Delete
  7. If you lived in the US I'd say 'I'm grateful for you … Happy Thanksgiving, Victor. '

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. I still visit your new Blog; but for some reason I cannot comment. It won't let me. I also receive your weekly e-mails.

      God bless.

      Delete
  8. That's good, haven't heard that before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, that was very funny!

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.