Friday 10 November 2023

So what did you do in life?

 

My friend JACK in a recent Blog post asked the question "did you follow a life close to your parent's?" You can read him HERE.

Well, NO - I did not. I am not as clever as my Dad or Mom. I just got along from education to a junior administration job in a large multi-national and then made a career there.

But I do come from quite and inventive and clever family. Obviously, the cleverness missed a generation when it came to me.

My grand-father was a famous explorer. He travelled round the world trying to find things. Once when on the Equator he discovered the East Pole. We all know about the North and South Poles, but he discovered the East One. Unfortunately he was unable to pin it down in any one place because the Earth kept moving round from left to right and the East Pole kept escaping away.

My other grand-father worked in a famous zoo. His job was picking up penguins. As you know, penguins just stand there looking at the visitors in the zoo taking photographs. However, when an air-plane flies overhead the penguins get distracted and they all look up and follow the plane with their eyes. If the plane comes from in front and flies slowly at height over them, they raise their heads up and follow it slowly tilting back and back until they all fall flat on their backs. That's when grandpa would come into the enclosure and pick them up again and makes them stand in a line. It was a 24/7 job because the zoo was nearby to an airport. No sooner he picked some penguins up, than another species in another enclosure would fall over and need picking up. He spent his time running from one enclosure to another. So being a descendant from an inventive family tree, he tied all the penguins in a straight  line to a long wooden pole, (not the East one), running behind their backs. So when they fell he just picked up one of them and they all stood up in unison. The manager was not amused and threatened to fire him. So he spent the rest of his career picking up penguins one at a time.

My other grand-father invented the spoon rest. Before that, cooks and chefs, and everyone in the kitchen had a problem when using spoons in the kitchen. They would stir the soup, or the broth or whatever they were cooking and then did not know where to put the spoon. If they left it on the table it would make a stain of soup or whatever they were cooking. Also, it was unhygienic placing the spoon on the table and then  back into the pot for another stir. Some cooks put the spoon behind their ears like you would a pencil or pen, but this resulted in soup or sauce in their hair. Others, tried putting the spoon in their pockets; but that wasn't clever either. So this grandpa invented the spoon rest, (see prototype above), and now we have an extra thing to wash and clean when in the kitchen.

My other grand-father invented the cold air balloon. But it did not take off.

My other grand-father was a film star actor. He was the hump on The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

My other grand-father was a glazier fixing broken windows. One day he replaced all the glass panes in an office block then realized he had a crack in his spectacles.

My other grand-father invented a humane way to kill ants. Totally natural with no polluting chemicals. He started with a flat stone upon which he mixed a spoonful of sugar and a spoonful of pepper. The ants would be attracted by the sugar. Inhale the pepper and sneeze knocking themselves dead on the flat stone. 

My other grand-father wanted to be a lion whisperer. He finally achieved his life-long ambition just moments before he died.

My other grandfather invented a compass which always pointed in the opposite direction he was travelling. He did not know whether he was coming or going. He also invented a luminous sundial so he could tell the time at night. His sundial watch did not catch on though ... except on his sleeves as he put his shirts on.

My other grand-father ... are you keeping up with me? He was a medic. He practised reverse liposuction. He put fat into thin people. Something he invented when he worked at a sausage factory. He was fired from the hospital when he also invented instant laxative. He also invented a new technique to deal with loose excess skin when overweight people lose weight. He tried it on a colleague. He pulled up all the loose extra skin upwards, ever so upwards, and stretched it tightly until all his excess skin was tied into a knot and hidden behind the man's neck. He looked perfectly well except that his navel was now on his forehead. He also had a very unusual tie.

18 comments:

  1. This makes for a fascinating read. Everyone in your family, from your parents to your grandparents, performed very well. I share the opinion that you are an outstanding person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How nice it is to see you visiting here Melody. Thank you so much. Call again.

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. You do have an unusual number of grandfathers! Not sure what that says about your parents and their "escapades" in life...you didn't mention them. Perhaps that's why. LOL. This was quite an "inventive" post. I'd say you inherited the gift of story telling, or story making up. LOL. It was all quite entertaining. I'm afraid my ancestry is not nearly as interesting. I do appreciate your grandfather who invented the spoon rest. I have two of them and use them all the time. One is for my teaspoons when I've made my cup of tea and also hubby's cup of coffee. We use mugs instead of tea cups and saucers, so therefore we need a spoon rest for our spoons. (it also holds my used teabag). The other one is for when I am cooking, and it holds spoons and/or spatulas, depending upon what I am cooking. Sometimes it has several utensils stacked on top of each other because it isn't big enough to hold them all individually. Maybe I need another spoon rest? This was fun. Thanks for the giggles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad to see you here Pamela and that you have enjoyed my offering of humour. Yes, that's a lot of grand-fathers; but it was quicker than me naming each uncle and cousin individually.

      Quite an inventive family I got; and I'm happy that at least one of them invented something you use today - the spoon rest.

      Keep smiling my friend, and invite others here too.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  3. ...for some people, their life is like walking through concrete, they leave footprints. While others walk through sand and leave none.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my grand-father invented footprints.

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
  4. Now you have me wondering what your other grandfather did!!
    Thanks for the smiles, but I wanted to tell you how much I appreciate the spoon rest. Saved me a lot of cleaning. Thanks for the shout out...
    AND PRAYERS..
    Love from the next shore past the
    west pole...;-)
    Sherry & jacki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for inspiring this post, Jack. When I read your Blog I thought I could write something about family trades and jobs. Many thanx my friend.

      God bless you all.

      Delete
  5. Can't imagine what your great-grandfather did. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have many children maybe?

      I'm glad you enjoyed this post, Bill. Jack gave me the idea when he wrote about children following in their fathers footsteps.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  6. I lost count of all your grandfathers, Victor - lol! You certainly come from an interesting family tree, though. Don't ask me to climb it!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to think as many trades and jokes as I could remember, Martha. A bit like doing stand-up on a stage.

      God bless you and yours.

      Delete
  7. What an esteemed family tree you've got there, Victor! My own ancestry pales in comparison, and I'm actually envious of your forefather, the penguin tender.
    No wonder you're never at a loss for material.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Years ago I used to collect jokes and memorise them against subject matter. People would mention a word, and I'd tell a joke about it. I'm very fond of old-style stand-up comedians.

      God bless you, Mevely.

      Delete
  8. You sure have a lot of grandfathers!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You certainly have an unusual family. I didn't have that many clever grandfathers.

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.