Monday 26 June 2023

Have I offended you?

 

The preacher approached the lectern and asked, "hands up all those who are going to Heaven!"

Everyone raised their hand. They were enthusiastic and glad to be saved. Everyone except one man sitting three rows on the left. The preacher noticed him and wondered, "what a humble man, he does not presume he'll be in Heaven."

He asked him, "why did you not raise your hand?"

The man replied, "I'm not sure I want to go to Heaven if all these people will be there!"

What I'm trying to say is that a lot of Christians are hypocrites. They are Christians in name only. Christianity to them is a badge, not a way of life. You know some of them. In your church, your community, your family even.

I don't know any of you. I notice who visits here and comments regularly and I am very grateful for your encouragement and support. But I also notice those who, for some reason or other, have stopped visiting. Perhaps they're busy. Perhaps they no longer Blog. Perhaps they're ill, or sadly for us, they  have moved on to another life with Jesus.

I sometimes visit their Blogs and notice it is still live. I leave a message. But they do not return the comment.

So I wonder ... have I offended them in some way? 

Have I ever offended you?

Come on, be honest and let me know. In private if you wish.

I don't set out to offend people; and I know perhaps sometimes my humour does not travel well. 

However, if something I said in a Christian post has offended someone then that's different. I try to be very careful in what I say in my Christian posts. So if what I say there offends someone, I don't mind offending them if it saves them from hell.

It is our responsibility, all Christians, to spread the Word of God as best we can. Through our writings, our Blogs, our church, the way we live and the way we treat each other kindly and with respect.

We should not be afraid to speak our truth as taught in the Bible. If it offends someone, then that is their business. At least they've read what we had to say and reacted to it.

When we read the parable of Jesus about the sower and how some seeds ended on the footpath, and others on rocky ground, and others among thorns and only a few on good ground, we think of the Word of God spread amongst many who would not listen. (Luke 8:4-15). 

The Word of God is meant for everyone. We have a duty and responsibility to evangelise and spread the Word of God to everyone, far and wide. Not to just Christians.

If the Word of God was meant for just Christians we would dig a long furrow and make sure that the seeds are planted one by one carefully in the furrow and none are wasted. But Jesus does not say that in this parable. He spreads the seeds far and wide and if people do not want to listen that is their problem. Not ours.

26 comments:

  1. ...salvation is different for different people. My Amish friends who are quite a religious group, hope for salvation. But in their minds it isn't asurred.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you a believer, Tom?

      Delete
    2. Thanx Tom. It depends what salvation someone wants. Some people need saving from themselves.

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. The cross of Christ is an offense. It just is. It is also the only way to God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I don't mind offending them if it saves them from hell."

    I have heard two teachings on hell in the past few days and how important it is to warn people even if it offends them.

    You are doing important work, Victor. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your support, Sandi.

      The thing is, people today do not want to listen. It's as if the world has put their hands on their ears and are singing "la la la la la" so as not to hear. Christians are seen as freaks. Christian-phobia is on the increase.

      God bless you always.

      Delete
  4. It is hard to be personally offended by a person who loves our Lord. Being in prayer, it is hard to offend others who love our Lord. Thanks for ALL your words of encouragement. One never knows of ALL the real good they do in life.
    Thanks for being here.... Blogging is going the way of the horse and buggy me thinks, Face book is drawing.....
    Love you our friend,
    Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your friendship and encouragement, Jack and Sherry. I much appreciate it.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  5. I agree that many who call themselves Christian are in for a surprise when they try to get in Heaven's gate. All you (or anyone else) can do is evangelize to the best of your ability. God gave us all free will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Kathy. Our job and duty is to evangelise as best we can.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  6. We can plant the seeds of God's Word, but we certainly can't predict how, or if, it will grow. But in planting, we have done our part for God's kingdom.
    And no, Victor, you have never offended me! I did have one blogger leave my site, in protest of my political views I'm assuming, but let the chips fall where they may.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha for your friendship. As you say, we plant the seeds. If some people don't want to listen that is their choice.

      God bless you and your family.

      Delete
  7. You never offended me, Victor. We all have choices about every thing we do and believe in. The paths we take may be different but our faith unites us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, our faith unites us, Bill. I try in my Christian writings not to say anything that upsets people.

      God bless, my friend.

      Delete
  8. No, sir. I'm not easily offended, and certainly can't imagine anything you write would make me think less of you.
    I, too, am a bit nonplussed when another blogger ceases to engage or even UNfollows me ("What did I do wrong?") as recently happened. I finally had to tell Self, "Get over it!".
    Yes, I have a duty to evangelize but (so far) I've been too timid, allowing my friends to go ahead while I wait in the wings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for being a friend, Mevely. I'm so grateful.

      Evangelising starts in small steps. Try whatever you feel comfortable with. For example, saying grace in a restaurant. That's evangelising. Or doing the sign of the Cross when passing a church (NOT whilst you're driving though!).

      Also, sharing your sense of humour. Your smile can mean the world to someone.

      God bless you and your family.

      Delete
  9. Darn! Blogger 'ate' my comment again. At least I hope you were able to see it via e-mail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll search for your comment, Mevely.

      God bless.

      Delete
  10. You have not offended me. Just because people call themselves Christians doesn't mean they are.
    Only one way to heaven - through Jesus Christ. I'm happy to be on my way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Just because people call themselves Christians doesn't mean they are." Well said, Happyone.

      God bless.

      Delete
  11. No, you have never offended me. If i disagree with something, i'd tell you but still be your friend.

    Yes, we are to tell the truth in love, spreading the Good News which is meant for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Mimi. We can disagree and say so to each other.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  12. No you have not offended me.

    I may not visit your blog every day, but when I do there is always something interesting to read. You post a good variety some to make us think, others to make us laugh and even some music from time to time.

    Wishing you a good week.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. Sometimes I wonder whether British humour travels well. I fear some of my readers may take me too seriously when I'm in tongue in cheek mode.

      I do aim for a varied menu on this Blog. Best wishes always to you and yours.

      God bless.

      Delete
  13. Absolutely. Jesus is for everybody

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.