Thursday 8 June 2023

Faith

 

Hello everyone. There I was the other day visiting Father Ignatius at Saint Vincent parish house. In my imagination of course.

We were enjoying a cup of hot chocolate drink and ginger marmalade on toast. I know, you'll think that chocolate and ginger marmalade don't go together but in my imagination they do and they tasted quite nice.

There we were enjoying our breakfast; Father Donald was also there and Mrs. Davenport of course. And it suddenly occurred to me that I was in the midst of great intellect and simplicity at the same time.

The two priests are very well educated and Mrs. Davenport has a way of looking at things in the most innocent way, in her own way shall we say. You know, I shall never forget the day when a young pupil doing his science homework at parish house asked her "if a person is in a vacuum can you hear him speak?" And she replied, "well, it depends whether the vacuum is switched on at the time and how much dust is in the vacuum bag".

Well that's Mrs. Davenport for you. But this led me to think, how does God deal with great intellect and simplicity? Some people in this world are very learned and indeed very clever, whereas some others are not. Does God expect more from the clever ones?

Like in the parable of the servants and the talents. Does God expect more from those that have learned theology, that have learned religion, compared to those that have not? For example, how does God deal with the way we live our Christianity and the way we live our lives?

Some people, like our friend Mrs. Davenport for instance, would perhaps go to church, say her prayers and light her candle every now and then. Something which have done many times myself. Is that enough for God I wonder?

And how about our faith? Some people have much faith; much much more faith than others. In my life I have known people who have suffered great hardships, with many illnesses and disease, and some have been in great pain, yet their faith remains ever so strong. They're an example to us all and they make me feel ever so humble and ever so small, because I stumble at the very first hurdle and fall whenever things get difficult and whenever things get hard for me. And I fall quite often believe me.

How does God view my weakness in faith? How does God view the weakness of people's faith? 

Just like the disciples, I've asked Jesus many times “please give me more faith!”

I suppose He smiled and said, “you can't handle the little faith I have given you already.”

I supposed to me it's a great comfort to look at Saint Peter and see how often he too stumbled. You remember he tried to walk on water yet lost his faith and nearly drowned. And despite being with Jesus for three years, and witnessing His divinity on earth, he still denied Him three times, and God forgave him.

I hope when we all get to meet God and see Him face-to-face He'll be forgiving and loving towards those amongst us who have little faith and who fail time and time again and keep on trying.

Thank you very much for listening. God bless you.

NOTE: Fathers Ignatius and Donald, and Mrs Davenport, are characters in my books.

16 comments:

  1. ...Mrs. Davenport is my kind of lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A colourful character in my books. I hope you enjoy them, Tom.

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. Wish I were there! I'd like to think God has no expectations of His children; rather simple faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Mevely. God just asks for simple faith.

      Writing these many books makes one imagine the places and various scenarios of the stories.

      God bless.

      Delete
  3. thecontemplativecat here. I love the Mrs. Davenport's simplistic point of view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Susan. She has proved a valuable character in the many stories and books I wrote.

      God bless.

      Delete
  4. We all stumble and when that happens just get up and try harder. You can't give up because of a little stumble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know ... I know, Bill. Yet, I keep stumbling.

      God bless, my friend.

      Delete
  5. Just because we stumble in our Christian journeys doesn't equate with not having faith, Victor. God knows us inside and out, and His patience knows no end. We might be "ye of little faith," but God can, and will, use us all the same.
    And you know how much I love all your book characters!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Martha. When we look at the disciples; Peter, Thomas, and the others too, they all hesitated. They all ran away when Jesus was arrested. They all had little, if any faith. Even though they had been with Christ for three years and seen His Divinity in action. This gives me a little comfort when I too fail ... many times.

      My characters come alive in my mind when I write my books. I hope they help someone somewhere. Or perhaps provide some entertainment.

      God bless you always.

      Delete
  6. I think if we give our lives over to God, He will give us all the faith and trust we need to see us through our trials.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Victor, faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God. (Romans ch. 10 v. 17) so it is a gradual process, and none of us are perfect - we all have our failings as we learn God's ways an understand His thoughts. By the way - I love hot chocolate and ginger marmalade on toast. :-) God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Brenda, with what you say.

      Ginger marmalade is a weakness of mine; so I wrote it in for the Father Ignatius character.

      God bless.

      Delete
  8. I once read where someone pointed out God doesn't have expectations of us, because He knows what we are going to do so to expect us to do otherwise would be silly.

    Instead, i think He uses the situations to point out things to us, such as where we need to trust Him more and so, have more faith. That's for us, not Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think I understand what you're saying, Mimi.

      God bless.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.