Monday 19 June 2023

That's life ...

 

Life is confusing at the best of times. I try to make sense of what people say and I get it wrong; especially when it's my wife speaking.

The other day she looked at a magazine and there was a picture of this magnificent coat. She looked at it for a while, and then hinting at me, she said, "I wish I had this!" So I cut out the picture and gave it to her.

She said I was insensitive and started crying. I thought I was kind and sensitive cutting out the picture so carefully. She said she wanted the actual coat, not the picture of it.

It was a very expensive coat. I thought the money could be better spent buying a new (second-hand) car; since our car was beyond repair. 

What would you do? Buy the coat, or get another "already used" car?

We compromised. We bought the coat and we keep it in the garage.

Honestly, I seem to get it always wrong. For our wedding anniversary I bought a water bed. Now we're drifting apart.

So I bought another bed, one with those new memory mattress. Now the mattress is trying to blackmail me.

I was told the secret to a happy marriage is to go out for a meal at least twice a week. So we tried that. She goes out Tuesdays and I go out Wednesdays.

I think all my bad luck in life stems from a deprived and impoverished childhood. We lived in a small cold and very damp house. So damp we went to bed with a periscope.
 
I remember at Sunday school, it was the feast of Saint Francis of Assisi. You know, the one who loved animals and nature. The teacher asked us to write a nice story about our pets. I wrote about our dog, Spaghetti. When she read my story she said it was exactly the same, word for word, as the story my brother wrote. I said, "it's the same dog!"
 
Anyway, as I was saying, "that's life I suppose". Funny old world we live in. Things are changing so fast these days that the good old days was last week.

20 comments:

  1. ...That's Life, what a great song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... That's what all the people say ...

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the morning smiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah ... it depends which morning. The one when you read this or the one when I wrote it?

      God bless, Kathy.

      Delete
  3. Life is confusing at the best of times, you stated a fact!
    Sherry & jack trying to smile...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can't take life so serious all the time, thanks for the laughs, Victor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Bill. I think I tend to be too serious.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  5. Compromise can be so difficult. Too funny about going out to eat where YOU want WHEN you want. Still chuckling ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased I made you chuckle, Mevely.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  6. The twists and turns you inject into your writing always take me by surprise, Victor, but never in the wrong direction. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your support of my writings, Martha. Much appreciated.

      God bless you and yours.

      Delete
  7. Fun post, thank you Victor.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Victor, I could spend a whole day commenting on this post but I will just comment regarding one of the things you have spoken of. We have a 'MEMORY foam' mattress topping but I have 'FORGOTTEN' what we paid for it..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel free to comment on anything you wish. Brenda.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  9. Just saying my memory isn't always the best as lots going on here.:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brenda. You're always welcome here.

      God bless.

      Delete
  10. Memory mattress blackmail. Remind me never to get one of those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, be careful. They remember everything.

      God bless, Mimi.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.