Wednesday 10 January 2024

God in adversity

 

Jack was a lovely man. Well loved by his wife, three children and four grand-children, as well as his wider family and friends.

When they all went to church together they filled the two front rows on the left of the Altar. But that wasn’t often, because they usually attended different Masses at St Vincent.

One day, out of the blue, Jack was taken severely ill and admitted to hospital. The whole family was devastated and it is fair to say that their Faith took quite a beating.

But not Jack. He remained calm and somehow, accepted the will of God. Of course, he was a little scared, but accepted what was happening to him willingly, trusting God that all would be well.

Father Ignatius visited him in the hospital often, and was greatly humbled by the man’s Faith and cheerfulness, despite the obvious pain he was in at times.

Jack remained in hospital for a while, receiving family visitors as well as his priest every now and then.

One day, whilst Father Ignatius was the only visitor Jack said to him:

“See that man over there Father, in the bed just opposite me?”

The priest nodded silently.

“He doesn’t believe in God Father …” continued Jack, “and he’s scared to death. He has the same symptoms and the same problems as me … and to be honest the doctors don’t hold much hope for either of us …”

Father Ignatius held Jack’s hand.

“Hey … I know what’s what Father. Both of us will have an operation soon and the chances are … well, I wouldn’t bet my shirt on it …”

Jack laughed weakly.

“You know what I did Father …”

The priest shook his head.

“Yesterday, I went over to that man. His name is Larry. And I said to Larry that Jesus will look after him. I told him that everything will be OK and he is not to worry about the operation.

“I don’t think he believed me, or in Jesus … but I think it calmed him down a bit.

“At least I’ve noticed that he’s stopped crying. He used to sit there and wipe his eyes and feel sorry for himself. He’s stopped that now. Maybe Jesus has started working on him … hein?”

Father Ignatius nodded weakly. He prayed silently for Jack and thanked the Lord for this man’s Faith in such adversity. Not only to believe in Christ’s healing power but to announce it boldly to someone who didn’t believe at all.

“Hey Father … you’d better give me Communion now; before the family turns up … you know how emotional they get … especially my wife ...” said Jack with a weak smile.

The priest prayed with Jack for a while after giving him Communion and waited until his family arrived before leaving the hospital.

A few days later Jack and Larry were operated on. Both operations were successful and after a period of recuperation in hospital and at home both fully recovered.

Jack and Larry became friends. Larry and his wife and daughter became Christian and attend church at St Vincent.

Jack’s severe illness and his stay in hospital were the channel for a family of un-believers to get to know and love Christ.

(Based on a true story). 

Excerpt from A DAILY WALK WITH CHRIST

CLICK HERE

 

12 comments:

  1. ...things work in mysterious ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful story. You just never know. Hope your New Year is off to a good start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandy. Best wishes to you and yours. God bless.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful story. You know my feelings about the good Father my friend. I had a friend who converted from Baptist to become a Catholic. A great guy. He was selected many years after his switch to visit the bedfast and give communion. He explained the wine MUST be used, and the container must be returned to the Priest empty. He had a few interesting stories. He could use your prayers now also, he now lives in Pennsylvania and his wife has dementia and does not know him, but he still takes care of her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am praying for your friend and his wife, as well as for you and your family, Jack.

      Yes, the chalice must be returned empty because we believe that after Consecration the wine is now the blood of Christ.

      God bless you always.

      Delete
  4. I remember reading this wonderful story, Victor. What a joy to learn it's based on a true story. One never knows what trials may become blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mevely for buying my book. Yes, this is a true story and I know the people involved. That severe illness and hospitalisation resulted in a whole family finding Christ in their lives.

      God bless you and your family, my friend.

      Delete
  5. I, too, so enjoyed reading this story again, Victor. What a testimony to the power of faith!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha, for buying my book and for your review on AMAZON.

      I knew the man I called "Jack" personally. He was very ill; and he certainly had more faith than I ever had. A real example to us all. Always cheerful despite often being in constant pain.

      God bless you and yours always, Martha.

      Delete
  6. That is why we should witness to others whenever the opportunity arises. :)

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.