Tuesday 30 January 2024

The miracle we can all see

 

Consider this. There are just over 8 billion people in the world today. Not millions, but billions. That's 8 and nine zeros behind it - 8,000,000,000.

And here's the miracle. No two people are alike. Even twins. Everyone of us is different. We may look the same physically, but inside us, what really makes us tick, our soul, is different from anyone else's. 

Now some people do not believe in soul. They don't understand it. But as C S Lewis said: You don't have a soul. You are a soul; you have a body.

We are all souls living within a body. And when the body dies the soul lives on for eternity.

And every one of those 8 billion souls is different. God created us this way. Isn't He wonderful?

Let us not waste time and try to be someone else. To copy someone else's style and behaviour. We are all unique. Different. Perfect in our own way. There are no rejects from God's production line.

When I was young in my early twenties working as a manager in a large company; I had people working for me old enough to be my parents. It was a daunting task. Some did not accept me as their boss. Some were better qualified than me in their particular expertise and subject. Why should they work for a young man in charge of a whole section?

I tried to be someone else. I copied the style of other older managers and tried to be them. I spoke more slowly, in a softer voice, walked slowly and tried to look learned and pensive. I guess I tried to change my voice too, because someone said to me, "What's the matter with you? Have you got indigestion or trapped wind?"

So I relaxed and became myself once again. I relied on my sense of humour where appropriate. I may have told you this story before, if so, please read the next few lines with your eyes closed to avoid repetition.

We were at a Team Building Conference. I hated those and felt they were a waste of time taking me away from my work. The guy managing the event had us in small groups and said, "Imagine your SUV broke down in the desert. Do you move away on foot, and if so what three items do you take with you?"

My group started suggesting we take water with us, others suggested a torch, salt tablets, various tools, blankets and so on. I remained silent wishing I was back in my office finishing an important time-sensitive report. The instructor noticed me and asked, "How about you? What would you take with you from the vehicle if stranded in the desert?"

I just blurted out, "The car door!" He was confused, as well as the rest of the group, and he asked, "Why?"

I said, "Because I can open the window if it gets too hot!"

I survived. That Conference and a career thereafter. The point I'm making is we should be ourselves. Not copy others. We are all different. We all have unique different gifts given us by God when He created us. Let us use them for His glory.


   

12 comments:

  1. ...differences and diversity should be celebrated

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoyed the stop by your house today. I like CS Lewis and this says a lot, I don't remember reading it before but well said: You don't have a soul. You are a soul; you have a body.
      Thanks for all and especially the prayers....

      Delete
    2. Glad to see you here, Jack. Sadly, many people these days do not believe in souls. They think we've all evolved from some slime that crept out of a pond millions of years ago ... well, I've known some people who are still at the slime stage of life.

      God bless you, my friend.

      Delete
  2. I love that God created us all so uniquely, Victor. And I have to confess, God shone though you once you allowed your natural humor to break through. Yes, being yourself is the best thing anyone can do. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit, Martha, my sense of humour sometimes got me in trouble at work. Perhaps I was not appreciated in my own time. I remember at a managerial meeting they were all discussing leadership training. We need more leadership.

      I objected. I said we needed more followship training otherwise we'd all be leaders with not one to follow us. A bit like going round in circles for forty years in the desert.

      God bless you and Danny.

      Delete
  3. A nice post followed by a lovely song :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that CS Lewis quote!
    Moreso, the realization we're all created "Different; Perfect in our own way." I don't know about you, but that makes me feel pretty special. Loved, even.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are special and loved, Mevely. God created every soul and everyone is unique, treasured and cherished in His eyes. All are welcome in His Kingdom. Many refuse the invitation.

      God bless you always.

      Delete
  5. He doesn't repeat Himself, in that no two of anything are exactly alike. An infinitely creative God is going to use a pattern but make each individual unique.

    Excellent point, be yourself!

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.