Sunday 23 October 2022

Communication with God

 

Once upon a time a very rich businessman entered an empty church and started praying silently. He had many business and other problems on his mind and had not been to church for a while. So he started praying, trying to re-build a relationship with God, seeking forgiveness, promising to do better in future and asking for help to the many problems on his mind.

As he was praying, a poor beggar came in and sat a few seats away in the empty church. He dropped to his knees and started praying loudly. "Dear God, help me and forgive me, I am a sinner."

The rich man ignored him and continued praying silently.

The poor man went on loudly, "I am hungry Lord. And so is my family. If only I had some money Lord. I have no job. I have looked for work but can't find any. Please help me Lord."

The rich man continued praying silently, but the poor man went on, "Just some money Lord ... to feed my starving children ..."

At this the rich man got off his seat and went to the poor man and said, "here's some money ... now clear off this church". Then he dropped to his knees and prayed, "Now Lord, can I have your undivided attention?"

Perhaps we are like that rich man too in our prayers. We may start by praying for ourselves, then we pray for our loved ones, family, cousins, friends, acquaintances, various situations in the world like famines, earthquakes, wars and so on; and before you know it we are praying for a whole long list of requests and petitions.

I know it's like that with me. I also pray for all of you readers who visit this Blog. Often by name if you comment here, or anonymously if you visit but don't comment. And the list is growing bigger by the day judging from the statistics of visitors here. I hope someone in Heaven is up-dating the database every time I pray and adding to it. 

Unlike the rich man, I cannot afford to "pay you off" individually in order to gain God's undivided attention. So I shall continue to pray for you individually and collectively in the hope and certainty that God is listening and will respond to your needs in His time and way. 

Just be patient, will you!

God bless.

21 comments:

  1. Thank you for your prayers, Victor! It is so precious to be connected in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prayer is the greatest gift we can give and receive from each other.

      God bless, Ladka.

      Delete
  2. "Often by name if you comment here"

    Thank you, Victor. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ..."Now Lord, can I have your undivided attention?" Does money buy this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen to Sandi. And Thanks......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Again, you and Pastor Janet are on the same wave length! Prior to this morning's sermon there were calls for prayer, the kind I've not witnessed in some time. Like that sweet hymn goes, "What a privilege it is to carry, everything to God in prayer." Thank you for your prayers, Victor. They're felt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know that hymn, Mevely. We all need prayer, we pray for ourselves and our needs, but how often do we remember to pray for others; especially those outside our immediate circle of family and friends?

      Praying for you and yours. God bless.

      Delete
  6. Dearest Victor,
    I'm afraid that praying is not about undivided attention.
    But praying by perseverance always pays off.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your prayers, Victor.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. The poor mans prayer was answered through the rich man. :)
    Thank you so much for your prayers. It means a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. He is big enough, of course, that each and every one of us have His undivided attention every time we pray.

    You are in my prayers, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your much needed prayers, Mimi.

      God bless always.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.