Tuesday 4 October 2022

Even More things I don't understand

 

And there's even more things I don't understand. I don't seem to understand much apparently. The way people talk for instance. What do they mean exactly?

Like when they say, "sending thoughts to you!" What's all that about? Why not say, "I am thinking of you at this particular time?" It is longer but makes more sense than "sending thoughts your way"

Or another one, "I love you to the moon and back!" What is that? Does it mean I love you lots and lots? Or does it mean I love you but up to a certain limit. The moon OK but Mars or Pluto and you're pushing your luck mate. I don't love you that much."

And there's more. "I thank the Universe I met you!" Does it mean the other person is an extra-terrestrial with antennas coming out of its head and a different method of procreation? Why not simply say, "I love you you fathead!"

And another thing I don't understand. Perhaps you clever people can help me.

My science teacher said the Universe is for ever growing and increasing. If the Universe is everything - the stars, planets, meteors, outer space, the cabbage patch next door, then what is it expanding into? The teacher took a balloon and blew it a little. Then with a felt-tipped pen we made some dots representing the planets. Then she blew the balloon some more, and more and more. Then she said this is the Universe expanding.

I said, "No it isn't. The planets are just going further apart. It is not expanding in the sense more planets are suddenly arriving on the scene and saying 'Hello ... I'm new here. How are y'all !!!' And in any case, if it is expanding as you're demonstrating ... Miss; then who is doing all this blowing wind into it?"

She accused me of being a clever Alec and gave me detention. 

I was only asking. It was an innocent question.

I never got on with that teacher. She taught science, woodwork, sports and English. Not much of a teacher if she had to fill-in on many subjects. Once during English lessons she asked, "I want you to make a sentence using the word 'NEED' "

Susie said, "I need a computer." 

Wendy said, "I need a new pen."

Mary said, "I need a pencil."

I said, "My family does not need anything!"

My teacher said, "Come on ... everyone needs something. What does your family need?"

I thought she was being too nosy; so I said, "No Miss ... we don't need anything. Dad said so. We were at home watching TV when my sister came in with her layabout boy friend and Dad said, 'That's all we need!' "

She gave me detention again.

I don't understand that. Can you explain it to me? 

12 comments:

  1. ...for me the list is endless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The universe is endless too. It's as big as a balloon.

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
  2. Great analogy about the balloon! I do believe, teachers aren't prepared to think (as they say) outside the box. Now you've got me realizing how often silly figures of speech gain popularity. They're contagious, y'all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mevely, the balloon analogy, albeit good, has never been explained fully. WHY is the universe expanding? Why are the planets (supposedly) going further apart as the dots did on the balloon? And who is doing the blowing so the balloon expands. Is NEW space being created in-between the planets?

      As for silly figures of speech ... ... ...

      God bless you always.

      Delete
  3. That explains it all, sending rocks your way! We enjoyed the visit except for the thoughts that got in the way. WE need to keep our good thoughts here, so we B sending small rocks. LOL Love can be sent so we are sending you 3 KG of it.
    Sherry & jack
    PS: WE did smile as we visited.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your love and good wishes, Jack and Sherry. Keep smiling always. Enjoy your travels.

      God bless y'all.

      Delete
  4. Always love it when you make me laugh, Victor!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laughter is what keeps me going sometimes.

      God bless, Martha.

      Delete
  5. Dearest Victor,
    Well, all those that use the word Universe, in whatever sentence—just want to act cool and up to date.
    It of course has NO meaning at all but that is with most of that kind of 'fluff'.
    And don't overlook the word 'act'... there is way too much acting in this world at present.
    Yeah, read that so often on social media that a grandparent or a parent loves the other that way.
    Glad for having been raised without all those exaggerations and we only knew—tough love! We also got kept in balance by being taught catechism and for living like that and following Grandparents' and Parents' good example. No hollow words!
    Never been called, darling, princess, honey or sweetie... It makes one gag if you hear such nonsense spoken out loud—of course to be heard how much they love their offspring.
    Not realizing they're creating another monster for society to be dealt with in many ways.
    Sending you positive vibes is another one... What are negative vibes?
    They all ignore our Creator and the fact that humans have a soul and that it will never die—either live on in heaven or go to hell.
    This subject list of silly replacements is endless...
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems society is changing and changing fast, Mariette. And not always in a good way. The ways of our parents and grandparents are no longer the ways of a sophisticated modern society. Or so they think.

      God bless.

      Delete
  6. So many things to ponder! :)

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.