Thursday 6 October 2022

Marital Disharmony

 

OK ... let's be honest. Every marriage has its difficult periods when disagreements come to the fore. Some are eventually resolved amicably whilst others fester on and can lead to entrenched positions and total family breakdowns.

For example, after many years of marriage we still have not resolved how to run the economy and how the country should trade with other nations. I have my own well thought out and costed views on the matter, whereas my wife thinks I should stop talking and take the trash out because it will be collected tomorrow. 

There have also been many other arguments in our marital bliss, and it has always been me who gives way for the sake of peace and harmony and a good hot meal. For instance, I see nothing wrong in using a frying pan to boil water for the pasta. With a larger swimming pool as it were, the spaghetti have more room to swim and paddle and to soften up. My wife thinks I'm soft in the head.

At one point I went to see a Marriage Counsellor. He told me that his wife is also a Marriage Counsellor and suggested that we all meet, him and his wife, and I and mine, and try to talk and resolve our problems. I turned him down because I did not think the four of us in bed together was a good idea. Besides, the bed would be too small for such intimate discussions.

Talking of which; he told me that some people sleep with their pets in bed for comfort. Especially when one of the partners in a marriage is away travelling on business. I only once slept with my pet, years ago before I got married. When I woke up the bed was soaking wet and my goldfish had died.

Anyway, my wife and I have come up with a marital code on how to defuse arguments quickly before they get out of hand.

For example, when an argument starts we should both stop and wear a pan on our head. We go to the kitchen and pick up a suitable pan and wear it like a hat. Somehow, the argument in question gets into instant focus and seems easier to analyse and resolve.

Another alternative is to retire to different rooms and continue the argument by e-mail. We write to each other outlining our points of view and express our opinions and arguments in writing rather than talk them out. Somehow, writing things down takes longer than saying things and it makes us think before expressing ourselves. And it's all there on the screen in black and white, or whichever colour you write, so that you can refer to it again if your point has not been taken on board. Normally the argument is quickly defused because we get tired of writing anyway.

A third alternative when an argument starts is to use the radio program format which is popular over here. Each person has to outline their position on the argument for just a minute without hesitation, deviation or repetition. In just a minute I have to give my point of view. Then it's her turn. Then mine. Then hers and so on. The argument can be helped along with a drink of beer, whisky or wine or whatever after every minute. 

This last method had gained popularity in our marriage for some unknown reason. We now got to the point where we have to think up reasons to have an argument so we can resolve them this way. We even have arguments about which arguments to have.

I like my family. If it was not for my family I'd be arguing with perfect strangers. And it is not always advisable to drink with strangers. 

How do you resolve problems in your marriage?

19 comments:

  1. ...after 54 years of marriage, we have few if any difficult periods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've only ever had one argument. It started on our wedding night and it is still going on today. I just can't get a word in!!! Waiting for her to stop and catch her breath.

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
  2. Funny fellow! Actually, I like the idea of arguing via e-mail or text. 'Someone' doesn't understand that regardless of words, his tone of voice is off-putting. Maybe next time, I'll just open a wine bottle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good thing about writing it all down is that one has to think and be careful on what to write.

      For example: I used to think LOL meant Lots of Love. So I wrote to her in an argument: Sorry you fell and hurt your foot LOL.

      Best to try the one minute talk without hesitation, deviation or repetition. Because then you can have a drink every minute.

      God bless, Mevely.

      Delete
  3. LOL, enjoyed the post. Hubby and I have been married 50 years so in 50 years there have been a good number of disagreements. He has a quick temper and I let things fester. Two different styles I guess. Sometimes it's best to ignore the other person until things have calmed down. My folks always said don't go to bed angry; but that hasn't worked well for us. Got a kick out of the goldfish in the bed, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ... I know the letting it fester and silent treatment method. Then when I ask what's wrong, I get: If you have to ask what's wrong it shows how insensitive you are.

      That response is only a description of her feelings and does not illuminate the situation one bit.

      I'm so glad you enjoyed this article, Sandy. Thanx for visiting.

      God bless.

      Delete
  4. I yell and then sulk. She doesn't say a word, but her eyes say: 'And you call yourself a Christian!'.
    I do like the idea of writing down out points, because I write faster than she does, but myself nor anyone can read what I said, probably good!
    /thanks for the smiles. From this side.. Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I heard the "And you call yourself a Christian" argument so many times.

      My response is, "I'm only a Christian on Sundays, and that's when we're in Church".

      It's good to laugh, Jack. We need a sense of humour these days.

      God bless you and Sherry.

      Delete
  5. Danny and I have our occasional disagreements, but we don't argue or waste time fighting. There's just no reason for us to do so. Love is good!
    Blessings, Victor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What? You don't even argue as to who will have the last doughnut in the packet?

      God bless, Martha and Danny.

      Delete
  6. Dearest Victor,
    Marital disharmony or at work or whatever... It is healthy to speak your mind and hear your other half's opinion—or that of a colleague.
    IF you know how to listen—both will learn from it.
    But we're at a stage where hearing problems at times get in the way. If I get a funny reply, I know that part of it got lost due to hearing problems. Maybe it would be a blessing for most of us!😏
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I understand what you mean, Mariette. As long as disagreements are resolved with love all will be well in the end.

      God bless.

      Delete
  7. Such sensible solutions! Maybe you could become a marriage counselor yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What? Me a Marriage Counsellor and have to be in bed with various couples to solve their problems? No way ...

      I think the Counsellor I spoke to was out of his mind.

      God bless, Kathy.

      Delete
  8. We don't really have fights - little disagreements but after being married for so long we get along really well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's simple, tell him he's always right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah ... you understand men. Of course we're always right.

      God bless, Mimi.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.