Saturday 26 February 2022

Elevator Grateful

 

I hurried down the corridor heading for the elevator. As I reached a swing door first I noticed behind me somebody following me. So I held the swing door open so that it doesn't shut in the other person's face. It was a woman; she followed me and went through the door, followed by another woman then a man and then two men. I stood there like a doorkeeper.

Eventually, as I let the swing door go shut again I heard the ping from the elevator indicating that it had gone. I looked at my watch impatiently and I waited for the elevator to come back again. Another woman joined me and we waited for a few minutes. As the elevator doors slid open I stepped back a little and let her go through first. She walked in, I followed her and the elevator went down.

Later that day, I don't know why, but I thought about the nine lepers who went away without saying thank you to Jesus for healing them. I don't think they were bad people. I don't think they were evil people. I don't think they were ungrateful people; but with the excitement of the situation that they were suddenly healed, they were so pleased, they were so happy and so overjoyed that they ran to their families to show them that they are now clean again. That they don't have to be away from society, that they don't have to be shunned by people anymore, that they are lepers no more; and in their happiness and in their excitement they just forgot to say thank you.

You know how it is … the sudden excitement makes you forgetful. And I don't think those people who followed me down the corridor when I held the door open for them, or the woman who went in first into the elevator without saying thank you or smiling … I don't think any of them are nasty evil people. They are just busy with their lives and they just got on with their lives … they just forgot to smile, nod or mumble thank you.

And let's face it; how many times am I as bad as them? How many times when I'm really worried about something or other and it turns out just fine do I forget to say thank you to Jesus for being beside me and for making sure everything worked out fine?

For all those times I forgot to be grateful … thank you Jesus.

19 comments:

  1. This story is rather 'up and down'
    Victor..(got yer name right)..
    Hope l don't get to stressed in my
    reply..?
    HeHe! Bless! Leprosy..
    Well..things have moved on relating
    to this problem..
    Leprosy starts by damaging nerves close
    to the surface of the skin...
    The first signs are often discoloured patches
    on the body that have lost sensation...
    Leprosy is only mildly infectious now..
    You can’t catch it by touching someone...
    It would take years of living close to an
    untreated leprosy patient to catch the
    disease...!

    So Jesus was'nt require after 1982 as a cure
    was found for leprosy..
    But! Even to~day millions of people are affected
    by the disease..! :(.

    Finally, l must confess..l tend to over thank
    people and friends in my thanks..! I'm a person
    who repeats a lot of things, WHY? because most
    people don't listen any more..There to busy
    fighting or waging war all the time..! :(.
    "Nuff Said"
    Right...Time for a lemon tea with honey...!
    ❤️ 🙏 ❤️ 🙏 ❤️ 🙏 ❤️ 🙏 ❤️ 🙏 ❤️ 🙏 ❤️ 🙏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Jesus is always required.

      God bless, Willie.

      Delete
  2. ...I try to take the stairs, the exercise is good for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is all too easy to forget to say thank you, Victor, but let's hope that we always take the time to thank God for all He has done.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Martha. In our busy lives we often forget to thank God for all He has done.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  4. Reminders are appreciated. We all need them at times. Thanks
    Sherry & jack, moving again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best wishes and safe travel, Jack and Sherry.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  5. Dearest Victor,
    At least before going to sleep, I do thank God for all the goodness and protection experienced throughout the day. Also asking him to protect those that need him most and to bring back home those that at present time don't care...
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Mariette. Always thanking God at night and first thing in the morning. And praying for those who have strayed from the fold.

      God bless.

      Delete
  6. Good to remember to always say thank you. It's real easy to forget, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It occurred to me that perhaps at least some of those men who were healed didn't come back because Jesus told them to go show themselves to the priests and offer the sacrifices you are supposed to offer when you are no longer a leper. Maybe they weren't ungrateful but thought that obedience to what He told them to do was more important.

    The one who came back understood it's important to say thank you first and then go offer those sacrifices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make a good point, Mimi. Thank you.

      God bless you and yours.

      Delete
  8. Saying thank you is just good manners which a lot of people don't have anymore.
    I try to always be thankful - a thankful person is a happy person! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I say thank you to people and quite often get a surprised look in return, as if people don't have it said to them anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfulness is becoming less used these days.

      God bless, River.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.