Sunday 20 February 2022

Paul's Letter to the Thessalonians

 

In his first letter to the Thessalonians Paul says:

"Rejoice at all times. Pray without ceasing. Give thanks in every circumstance, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus". 

1 Thessalonians 5:17 onwards.

Let us examine what he says further.

Rejoice at all times: I see so many people in church on their knees praying yet their faces look like a mile of bad road. It is as if they are carrying the whole world on their shoulders. Being charitable for a moment, I know that life is not always a bed of roses and that sometimes we all go through bad times. Yet, having said this, I see too many Christian people with sad faces all the time. Is this really a good advert for our faith? Is this what we would like others to think of Christianity when they see us? 

Pray without ceasing: I don't think Paul is suggesting that we pray 24/7 from the moment we wake up. Life is not meant to be spent on our knees and when we get to meet Peter at the Pearly Gates I doubt that he will check if we have callous knees like a camel's. Life is to be enjoyed and it is not an endurance test in preparation for the next. Remember "Rejoice at all times".

Paul is reminding us here to be in constant communication with God. We wake up in the morning and thank Him for another day and that we survived the night. When we're preparing breakfast we thank Him that we have enough to meet our daily needs and that of our family. As we travel to work, or wherever, we thank Him and ask Him to keep us safe. When we meet someone who tells us of their difficulties and problems we say a silent prayer for that person.

That's what Paul means by praying without ceasing. To be in constant contact with God throughout the day. And to be receptive when He speaks to us.

Give thanks in every circumstance, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus: Whatever happens in life, no matter how bad and difficult the situation, we should thank and praise God for it. We are not thanking and praising Him for the bad situation itself, but we are doing so because we acknowledge that He is still in control. Whatever the situation, we thank Him for being in control.

By doing so, we somehow open a channel whereby God turns the bad situation to the good; for us or for someone else. Maybe someone sees how we tackle the bad situation and somehow our example brings them closer to God. Perhaps our situation changes us for the better in some way. When we praise God for being in control of every situation He will often turn it to the good. I have seen this many times.

25 comments:

  1. Yes! Your quite right Victor...
    I can't remember the last time, l was
    on my knees in prayer..? Hum!
    I pray from the time l get up, in fact
    at my age, l need to get up perhaps twice
    in the night to use the bathroom, something
    crosses my mind, and a little something has
    to be said..or just the sign of the cross,
    which l use a lot..it's not only footballers
    running onto the pitch..making the sign of
    the cross..they always make me laugh..couple
    minutes later there kicking their opponents
    all over the pitch..with red/yellow cards..
    being flashed about by the Ref..! :(.

    I speak to God in my own way..much the same
    as if l'm talking to family or a friend..l'm
    not into the 'wailing and gnashing' of teeth..!
    AND,,Do l get replies..? Yeah! You betcha...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praying is communicating with God and listening to Him when He speaks.

      God bless you, Willie.

      Delete
    2. Great News! Victor...
      Just settled down to watch a bit of Footy..
      Pot of Moka coffee and a piece of Scroggin
      Slice...
      AND your book..'Feline Catastrophes' has just
      come through the door, Whey~Hey! :O)
      Finally got it on Amazon for £4.99 (English
      money)...free P&P..! :O)
      Love the picture on the cover..!

      Delete
    3. Thank you Willie. Let me know what you think of the book. The picture on the cover is my cat throwing snowballs at me.

      Here's an Amazon Review:
      https://www.amazon.com/Feline-Catastrophe-Victor-S-Moubarak-ebook/dp/B00AVBNWL2/ref=sr_1_27?qid=1645369257&refinements=p_27%3AVictor+S.+E.+Moubarak&s=books&sr=1-27

      And here's what a reader of my Blog said:
      http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/2016/02/feline-catastrophes-by-victor-s-e.html

      And here's a video of my cat:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aZmNi1r460

      God bless, Willie.

      Delete
    4. I've read the first story, and watched the
      video..Brilliant..!
      Fancy getting yer head stuck in a cat~flap! :).

      Tomorrow l will send a general link to my
      contacts..regarding your book, as l have loads
      of pussy~cat followers..If that's o.k. with you!

      Delete
    5. Thank you so much, Willie. Yes, by all means send a link to your friends. I hope they like the book and the video.

      God bless you always.

      Delete
  2. Amen. He is still in control and He can turn this for good. I am thinking of all the things going on in our world. A wonderful reminder. May your day be filled with peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kindness Sandi. Wishing you a grand day.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  3. ...Rejoicing is always a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks again for some very timely reminders. I wanted to say just from me, that I am proud that Paul could spell Thessalonians, I had to cut and paste it. ;-)
    From over here,
    Sherry & jack smiling...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to see you smiling, Jack and Sherry. Yes, I had to copy/paste it too from the Bible too.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  5. Not that long ago, I might have found the idea of giving thanks in ALL things incomprehensible. Thanks to your easy-to-understand explanations, that's no longer the case. After all, He sees the whole picture. Flat tire, missed appointment? Maybe that delay saved me from being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mevely, I see similar examples all the time. Something happens that we consider to be "bad"; yet somehow it has happened for a reason and good has resulted from the situation. God is certainly always in control, even if we do not often see it.

      God bless you and your family.

      Delete
  6. Everyone loves to be thanked, it's not hard to do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen, Victor! That is exactly how I try to live each day God gives me. And I have definitely seen Him take what looks on the surface to be an impossible situation, and turn it around for good. God is wonderful like that, isn't He?
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, God does turn many a situation for the good. I have seen it often.

      God bless you and yours, Martha.

      Delete
  8. Being around a happy Christian is a blessing. Being happy is such a good testimony! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Giving thanks IN all circumstances is not the same as giving thanks FOR all circumstances, as you so wisely point out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Mimi.

      God bless you and yours always.

      Delete
  10. The happiest people I know are all Jewish. They see a good side in everything, so I try to do that too, like Pollyanna.

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.