Saturday 5 February 2022

Fashionable Joe

 

Once upon a time there was a man called Joe. He had a very nice coat. It was a stylish fashionable item hand-made in Italy by a top fashion designer. He was proud of it. It was a gift from his father.

His brothers were very jealous of him. So one day, whilst out in the field looking after their sheep they kidnapped Joe and sold him to some passing traders on the way to Egypt. They soaked his coat in animal blood and told their dad that an animal had killed their brother.

In Egypt, Joe landed in prison on some made-up charge. Little did anyone know he had a special gift of interpreting dreams. One day the Pharaoh had a dream and Joe was asked to interpret it. 

You can read the rest of the story in  Genesis Chapter 37. I don't want to spoil the ending for you.

This set me thinking.

Sometimes in life we get into difficult situations and we wonder why it is happening to us. At first we might panic. We might ask why me. Get upset. Get angry. And go through all the various emotions outlined by psychologists explaining how people deal with a crisis.

Some amongst us might even blame God about our misfortunes. Perhaps we are reacting in a human natural way, perhaps not. The fact is that sometimes we do.

The thing is, I believe God allows some bad things to happen. He does not cause them. But He allows them to happen. Perhaps to nudge us in a certain direction. Perhaps to get us into a new situation in life. Perhaps so that we may meet new people and somehow influence them by our behaviour. Or they influence us maybe.

For reasons best known to Himself, God allows such bad situations according to His plan for us and for others.

Let me tell you a true story. Some years ago, a person I know very well got cancer. It was a shock that devastated the whole family, including himself. He went to hospital.

Whilst there, in the same ward as him, there was another man with exactly the same illness. He took it very badly, and so did his family. He always sat there in bed crying and wailing as if this was the end.

One day, after the visitors had left, the man I know very well got off his bed gingerly and sat next to the crying man with the same condition. In conversation, he said to him, "Don't worry. God will help you. All will be well!"

It was an odd thing to say, to come out in faith and say something like that to a man he hardly knew.

Both men were operated on. The operations were successful and both men survived. They became friends. The crying man, and his family, wanted to learn more and eventually he and his family became Christians.

I leave you to draw your own conclusions. Would the two men have ever met if they were not ill at the same time? Would a whole family have found God otherwise?

Something for all of us to remember when times are hard in our lives.

31 comments:

  1. I'll be watching Egypt v's Senegal tomorrow
    night on BBC3 at 7.00..Salah v Mane, both
    play for the same club l support, but on
    opposite sides..! :).
    I digress..

    My life..is run by two things..my music and
    my emotions..we Sicilians are a very emotional
    race..l cry at happy things as well as sad things!
    You should see me watching 'The Repair Shop' on
    BBC1..I started out with a box of tissues, then
    a kitchen roll, now l use a hand towel, it's an
    amazing program, and, I~LOVE~IT..! :).

    Six years ago, l had to go into hospital for three
    days, l had a pacemaker fitted..it was a mixed ward,
    men, women, and the others..by the time l had to
    leave, the hospital. wanted to book me in..three days
    a week as the floor show..even in the opp. theatre,
    l had them ALL in stitches..yes, stitches..! :).
    Even on my out Dr Edwards ask me if he could use my
    details at a talk he was giving that evening to
    junior doctors..I put him in touch with my agent! :O)

    Whilst! Your a believer or not..God is always there,
    even if your a non~believer, and you strike your
    hand/finger with a hammer..you call upon God in one
    way or another..!

    “God is good, not because of the wonderful, but the
    other way around...
    The wonderful is, because God is good.”
    🙏 💞 🙏 💞 🙏 💞 🙏 💞 🙏 💞 🙏 💞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God is with us at all times and saves us from many situations we don't even know about.

      God bless, Willie.

      Delete
  2. ...my youngest daughter just started cancer treatment. All that I can say is that it draws people together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am praying for your daughter right now, Tom. And for all of you. Trust in God.

      God bless you and be with you all.

      Delete
  3. I am only going to say THANKS. You point out a very legitimate, reasonable TRUTH.
    This is an important illustration that needs to be seen, read and understood by WE CHRISTIANS!
    Once again, THANKS my brother.
    Sherry & jack , learning on this side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Jack and Sherry. As you say, it is a truth that many people seem to have forgotten.

      God bless you and yours.

      Delete
  4. Good retelling of the classic story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is exactly how I felt when pneumonia put me in the hospital, Victor - God allowed me to get this ill for a reason, and I needed to listen to what He was saying to me about my health and my future regarding His kingdom. Thankfully, I was able to witness to many nurses and doctors while there, and God certainly witnessed to them in the way He healed me against all the odds. Yes, God is always turning the things that seem bad into good.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your story, Martha. Indeed, in your difficult time you were there as an example for others to see and learn from. People you would never have met otherwise.

      I am so thankful that you are now better.

      God bless.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful testimony, Victor! I'm reminded of something our Bible study leader shared: 4 years ago, her heavily pregnant daughter suffered an aneurysm and had to be air-lifted to UAB Birmingham. Doctors held little hope that either Melissa or her baby would survive. As Laura tells the story, there were probably 25 family members standing and praying. Then, a frail old Jewish man wearing a prayer shawl wheeled his way towards them. In a soft voice he smiled and said, "Don't worry. God hears your prayers."
    Today Melissa and her little daughter are healthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praise the Lord. Thank you for this story full of hope and a sign of faith in God. The old man must have been prompted by God to say what he said.

      God bless you, Mevely.

      Delete
  7. Those two men were destined to meet each other under those conditions, it was God's plan. I believe there's a reason you meet certain people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Bill. God planned that they should meet and the man and his family get to know about God.

      God bless.

      Delete
  8. Dearest Victor,
    Yes, just as Joe or Joseph in the biblical story, there are many others that at first are not completely understood.
    Things happen for a reason; always and it does have quite a ripple effect on others.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of a ripple effect on others. Thank you Mariette; you are correct.

      God bless you and your family.

      Delete
  9. 'The thing is, I believe God allows some bad things to happen. He does not cause them. But He allows them to happen. Perhaps to nudge us in a certain direction. Perhaps to get us into a new situation in life. Perhaps so that we may meet new people and somehow influence them by our behaviour. Or they influence us maybe.'

    Amen, Victor. And somehow knowing this makes things a bit easier.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joseph is one of my favorite people in the Bible. He never lost faith.

    ReplyDelete
  11. He doesn't always tell us all the reasons but sometimes we find them for ourselves, as your friend with cancer did. Joe, of course, told his brothers exactly why the whole thing happened, i think he knew the whole time that his great-grandfather Abraham's G-d was in charge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Mimi. God does not tell us all the reasons. We need to trust Him that He will take care of us.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  12. I have never blamed God for things that go wrong for me. I know it is usually my own stupid fault and I learn from it.
    I'm off to google now for Genesis chapter 37, since I don't own a Bible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you will like this story, River; and many others in the Bible about God and how He cares for us.

      God bless.

      Delete
  13. Well, I thought you were going to talk about another man named Joe that happens to be in the White House. He too has had his problems, but we won't go there. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No politics on this Blog, Manny. UK or any other politics.

      It's good to see you here again. God bless.

      Delete
  14. Thank you for this. It strikes me as an almost perfect example of what Saint Paul wrote about in 2 Corinthians:

    Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and God of all encouragement, who encourages us in our every affliction, so that we may be able to encourage those who are in any affliction with the encouragement with which we ourselves are encouraged by God. For as Christ’s sufferings overflow to us, so through Christ does our encouragement also overflow" (verses 2 Cor 1: 3-5).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen Deacon Scott.

      It is so nice to see you visiting me here. Thank you so much. We welcome you again soon and often.

      God bless you.

      Delete
    2. Victor, while I don't always comment, I am a fairly frequent visitor/reader here.

      Delete
    3. Many thanx Deacon Scott. I too follow your links from MeWe to your Blog. Your writings are a beacon of light in an often dark internet. Many thanx.

      God bless.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.