Thursday 10 February 2022

Strange dreams triggered by Shakespeare

 

We all have dreams from time to time. Some are dramatic and perhaps disturbing, whilst others are easily forgotten or not remembered at all when we wake up.

I dreamt about Shakespeare last night. I never liked Shakespeare's plays. There isn't a car chase in any of them. In my dream, the old Bard was eating a KFC. 

"What's in a name?" he said, 

"That which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet...

But this KFC unpronounceable as it be

Would taste as sweet as an artichoke dipped in honey!"

I then woke up and continued eating the chicken leg I had in my pocket.

Have you ever dreamt that you were a chicken wearing a pin striped suit to work and they would not let you in because your tie was the wrong colour?

Or dreamt that you went to see a hypnotist to cure you of the compulsion to visit hypnotists?

Whilst at the hypnotist you asked him also to cure you of your fear of heights? He did so; and when you woke up you were on top of the cupboard?

And why when it is in the kitchen it is called a cupboard, and in the bedroom it is a wardrobe? Is it because, as the Bard said, a rose by any other name is still a cupboard? Or a wardrobe? If so, why not call the cupboard a rose?

No? Never had such dreams?

Well, neither have I.

My dreams tend to be memorable. Last week I dreamt that I was in a marshmallow factory, a bit like in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory book by Roald Dahl.

Anyway ... I dreamt I was in a marshmallow factory and when I woke up I'd eaten the pillow.

I remember being told off in the morning for ruining the pillow!

The best dreams of course are those that inspire us to greater things. They can be dreams we have when asleep or indeed something we think about when awake and mull over in our minds and spur us into action.

Many a great idea started with a day dream, an inspiration, a word of encouragement ...

The ideal dream is to make life better for someone else. It need not necessarily be a big thing that you do. Perhaps a kindness to someone. A smile. A helping hand.

For when our time is at an end, we should not be remembered for who we have been, but for what we have done. 


 

27 comments:

  1. I dream all the time..even when l'm awake!
    I dream 'every' night, some vivid some not!
    It's part and partial of my anxiety problem,
    nothing serious and not life threatening! :)

    Last night l slept like a log..Woke up in the
    fireplace..! :O).

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...I'm a bit like Willie, I'm a daydreamer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dreamt once I was addressing the Management Board at work. I woke up ... and I was.

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
  3. I was once asked to build a house with NO closets, he preferred armoire and cupboards. I refused, if the deal fell thru I would have to find another 'crazy person' LOL
    We see the sun today
    Sherry & jack thanks again for the prayers..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is an armoire a cupboard with the doors that squeak in a French accent?

      No sun here. Too grey and too cold. I took the dog out in the garden to do his business. He looked at me and said, "You try doing your business out here!"

      Praying for y'all. God bless.

      Delete
  4. I'm a daydreamer believer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dream that I am dreaming. That's concentrated dreaming.

      God bless, Bill.

      Delete
  5. I rarely remember my dreams, Victor, but I've found day dreams to often take me far. Let us hope we can live our lives helping others the best we can.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I like the song I posted so much, Martha. Years ago, I interviewed a priest for my radio show. We talked about his vocation and why he decided to devote his life to God. His favourite song ending the program was "The Impossible Dream".

      The Father Ignatius character in my books is based on this (and other) priests.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  6. Dearest Victor,
    Oh dreams can be so active and we can leap and do things not possible in daytime...
    Love your last sentence as THAT is all what counts.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, what counts is the good we have done in life. Thank you for helping the lepers, Mariette.

      God bless.

      Delete
  7. While in school, I remember being severely chastised for daydreaming. Obviously, I paid little attention because I still enjoy doing so.
    Great song choice, and suggestions, too. Little things mean a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing wrong with day-dreaming, Mevely. It develops the imagination.

      The song is one of my favourites. See my comment response to Martha above.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  8. Oh, to dream the impossible dream, and soar above the earth’s bondage.
    No matter how far we have been we must strive for something higher. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We must always focus on Heaven above, Nells.

      Glad to see you here. Hope you're keeping well.

      God bless.

      Delete
  9. Sometimes when I fall asleep reading a book my dream continues with the book. When I wake up I have to reread to see what part I've dreamt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that happens to me when I'm writing my books. I somehow work out the plot of my novels whilst asleep. I then get up and write it down quickly.

      God bless, Happyone.

      Delete
  10. Dreams can be scary, i'd rather just pray that i won't remember them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dreams can also be comfortable, and inspiring.

      God bless, Mimi.

      Delete
  11. I recently dreamed that Russia kicked off world war three and was out of sorts all the next day. A more recent dream was much better but I can't remember anything about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need to pray more for world peace.

      God bless, River.

      Delete
  12. I enjoyed the Frank Sinatra video and I do agree with your words ...

    "The ideal dream is to make life better for someone else. It need not necessarily be a big thing that you do. Perhaps a kindness to someone. A smile. A helping hand.

    For when our time is at an end, we should not be remembered for who we have been, but for what we have done."

    Another weekend is here, I do hope you have a good one.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan for your kind words and good wishes and for visiting me here again. Much appreciated.

      Wishing you happiness always. God bless.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.