Wednesday 22 June 2022

Flights of fancy


Sometimes I take an idle flight of fancy into the realms of philosophy, psychology, or even horology, and imagine myself as more learned and educated than I really am. Whilst this may well fool some readers, it does not fool me into knowing that in reality I know less than I really know. 

Whilst I may well quote Marcel Proust, he who wrote "Γ€ la recherche du temps perdu", or RenΓ© Descartes, he who said, "Cogito ergo sum", or indeed any other learned person from history it grieves me that not one of them ever saw fit to quote me, thus elevating my writings to the realms of the famous and erudite.

But be that as it may, I rest assured that my place in history was long predicted by my first year teacher who wrote in my annual progress report, "Victor will go down in history!" To which the Headmaster added, "also in Science, Geography, Mathematics and every other subject except day-dreaming."

But what is day-dreaming if not dreaming with eyes open? 

You can sit there, or anywhere, and imagine whatever you will and it is there. You can travel to far away places, or nearer ones to the local supermarket, and within an instant you are there. You don't need to pack up your cases, or get your passport and other documents, or prepare a shopping list if you're visiting your local shop. You imagine it, you day-dream it, and it's there. 

To dream the impossible dream ... To fight the unbeatable foe ... To bear with unbearable sorrow ... To run where the brave dare not go ...

But then I wake up from my day-dream and think; why? Why bother fighting the unbeatable foe? If he is unbeatable he will smash me into a pulp in no time. What's so clever about that? Why bear unbearable sorrow? Isn't there enough pain and misery in the world? Who wrote such lyrics which will no doubt end up badly? Is it not enough that life is a series of failures punctuated with disappointments?
 
No ... I have a different dream and vision. It's called realism. 
 
I think that sometimes life may seem like a dream; until you look down and realise you forgot to put on your pants. 
 
They say a good marriage is a dream ... until you wake up and apologise for what you have done in her dream! 
 
Let's be realistic here. As they say: as one door closes another one will open outwards and hit you in the face.
 
Time moves on and waits for no man. Have you ever sat in the car to go somewhere important and she's still deciding what dress to wear and whether it matches her shoes? 

What is it with women and shoes? Why so many? And what about their love for chocolates? I did not know what to buy my wife for her birthday so I bought her a pair of shoes made of chocolate.
 
It certainly saved time, and bought me some peace with the silent treatment. 
 
Time is of the essence. If I could save time in a bottle I'd probably drink it in one go. 

That's what horology is. The science or study of time; or making clocks and watches.

My grand-father was a horologist. When he died it took ages to wind up his estate.

17 comments:

  1. If you've 'time' on your hands..use it wisely...!

    Andy Williams from 1971...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSMgoPK0UbQ

    Must go..coffee morning..ladies will be round here
    at eleven...lots of 'fairy' cakes to~day...! :O)
    ☕ 🍰 ☕ 🍰 ☕ 🍰 ☕ 🍰 ☕ 🍰 ☕

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...thanks Victor for expanding my knowledge, I didn't know what horology was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I advised Willie ... take your time, Tom. Take your time.

      God bless.

      Delete
  3. Enjoy your time on the couch. You will have plenty of time to day-dream. LOL
    I used to pride myself in thinking I marched to my own drum, it took years to realize we all do. I remember as a kid I thought I was the coolest with a 'Duck's Tail', when every boy thought the same.
    Anyway, I did enjoy the post. I would quote you, but at my age I have already forgo............... oh well it is the thought that counts they tell me.... ;-) Be safe
    PS: Thank you my friend for the prayers.........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it doesn't matter if no one quotes me as long as they spell my name correctly.

      Keep smiling, Jack. God bless always.

      Delete
  4. While in grade school I was soundly criticized for daydreaming. Good thing I never paid much mind! As my daughter-in-love is fond of saying, "Time is a thief" ... dream on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it is through day-dreaming that I get some of the ideas for my writings.

      God bless you, Mevely.

      Delete
  5. Time in a bottle would be great. When you need more time just drink a bottle. The bigger the bottle is, the more time you get and if the bottle is returnable, you're in the money. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly my thoughts, Bill. Why can't we save time for later on when we can use it constructively?

      God bless you.

      Delete
  6. Dearest Victor,
    Some wise words and WISH we could bottle up time. Good and happy times can only get carried on as fond memories and if we meet things always as best as we can and should; we have no regrets.
    Life is so short so we MUST do the utmost for filling in our precious time together with loved ones and others.
    Big hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Mariette. So little time and so much still to do. Let us pray for God's mercy and generosity in giving us time.

      God bless you and yours.

      Delete
  7. We all have the same amount hours in a day. It is amazing how differently we all use that time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Forgetting your pants is one thing, it's worse to forget your shoes and figure it out when you accidentally step on a bee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AAAAAHHH!!!! That's terrible ... and very painful. I pray you are now well, Mimi.

      God bless.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.