Tuesday 15 March 2022

Dandelions, Nettles and ...

 

I visited an allotment recently. It’s a system peculiar to Great Britain whereby the Local Government Authorities (Local Councils) rent a small piece of land to anyone on which to grow their own fruits and vegetables. The piece of land is called an “allotment” and these are usually situated in the middle of towns and cities all over the UK. 

At this allotment I met an old man I’d never met before. I don’t know why, but usually complete strangers feel at ease to talk to me and tell me their life stories. So I listened.

He said he’d had that allotment for about ten years. His piece of land was about 20 metres by 10 metres. On it he had gooseberries, black currants, red currants, rhubarb, a small vine, a fig tree, spinach, cabbage, parsnips, runner beans, marrows, courgettes, and a variety of herbs and other vegetables too numerous to remember.

He complained that since he injured his hand in an accident cutting the tendons he found it difficult to grip and uproot the weeds in his allotment. But his children and grand-children helped him toil the land.

In conversation he let slip that he was 82 years old.

I silently prayed for him and wished I was as fit as him if I ever were to be his age.

He then added, "Never, ever give up. No matter how hard it is, how difficult it is, or how tired you are: don’t give up. If you do give up, the weeds will soon take over your allotment and all your hard work will go to waste. And you have to start all over again."

I left him with those words ringing in my ears. A complete stranger with a message which can be adapted to our Christian walk.

Never, ever give up. Or the weeds (sin) will soon take over your life and all your hard work will go to waste.

That night I said a prayer for that old gentleman with a salutary message.

A few days later it was another beautiful, warm and sunny day. I spent sometime in the garden pruning the bushes. Half an hour after I started a friend came to visit. I must explain that I’ve left a corner of the garden to grow freely to attract various insects and birds . My friend looked at it and said, “these are all weeds … they must come out …”

I pointed at the little yellow and blue flowers and said they looked pretty; and they attracted butterflies and other insects. My friend said, “They’re weeds. You’ve dandelions there, and nettles and …” naming a variety of plants I hadn’t even heard of.

"What is a weed?" I thought, isn’t it a plant that you don’t want? There are people who make nettles and dandelion tea – you can buy it at the health shop. I suppose to them a nettle is not a weed but a livelihood. I also read somewhere that dandelions are used in medicine.

Then I thought … I hope God is more selective when He comes to judge us and to choose who will enter Heaven.

Will He say disparagingly, “You’re a weed” – or will He welcome us into His Kingdom? 

How do you see yourself in the eyes of God?

27 comments:

  1. Are you sure that was'nt Jesus you met
    at the allotment..? Could be..!

    Six of my eight neighbours have allotments!
    So l do quite well during the summer months,
    what with all the fruit and veg, and with all
    the road kill l get, l don't spend an awful
    lot on food..! After all..l'm a country walla!

    AND..A truer statement ever said..
    "Never, ever give up. No matter how hard it is,
    how difficult it is, or how tired you are: don’t
    give up. If you do give up, the weeds will soon
    take over your allotment and all your hard work
    will go to waste. And you have to start all over
    again."

    How do l see myself in the eyes of God....I'm a
    sayings person..one l picked up many, many moons
    ago...
    "I'm the best there is, the best there was, and
    the best there ever will be". Amen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Yes! Forgot to say..come the spring, l'll
      be out picking the young nettle growth for tea!
      Dandelion leaves for my salads..
      AND..One thing l never do..is put pellets etc.
      down to kill slugs or snails..! I use grit and
      eggshell to keep them off my Hosta's etc..if
      they manage to get onto a plant..good luck to
      them..! God's creatures and all that..!

      Delete
    2. That man was so serene and calm and peaceful. Some people can be Christ-like in their manner and behaviour. I knew a priest who was like that years ago.

      God bless, Willie.

      Delete
    3. Gardening work never seems to end. Always something to do.

      God bless you, Willie.

      Delete
  2. ...weeds are merely a matter of a point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Victor,
    as soon as I started reading your post it came into my mind what I have always known, that dandelions are a medicine cabinet in themselves. There are so many things that dandelions can be used for as a medicine, and it includes every part, the flower, the leaves and the root. As it says in the scriptures - the leaves are for the healing. I don't know if I have shared this with you before but when we lived in Australia the Aboriginal people ate a certain grass that healed them very quickly from what we call gastro enteritis. No wonder some of the Russian people who live high in the mountains and use natural plants for healing live until they are in their one hundred and thirties. God bless you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brenda. I did not know about the healing properties of dandelions. I've tried dandelion tea.

      God bless.

      Delete
  4. Dearest Victor,
    There often is a lot of wisdom to be learned from wise old people!
    Indeed, in one country some flower is called a weed and yet in another country it is being grown for its beauty!
    May God also view his many different people by their own personal inner beauty and not by simple groups of doom.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How very wise of you, Mariette. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  5. Among the weeds, you'll find some special ones that have benefical assets to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, there is so much we still have to learn.

      God bless, Bill.

      Delete
  6. I love this analogy, Victor! I always feel guilty for pulling any dandelion or the prettier, unnamed varieties. There's another blogger friend who closes each of her posts, "May all your weeds be wildflowers." Isn't that a sweet thought?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a nice thought, Mevely. We classify plants as weeds purely because we don't like them or want them. I have a corner of the garden which grows wild to attract insects and birds.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  7. Our Pastor preached this week on Not Quitting! It happens often that you and him have the same idea. :)
    We do have allotments here too but I've heard them called Community Gardens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so pleased that I often write on the same subjects as your Pastor's sermons. I didn't realise that you also have allotments in the US. Over here they became popular during the war when people were encouraged to grow food.

      God bless, Happyone.

      Delete
  8. Weeding is hard work, and it is like fighting sin. If you pluck it up while it's still young and the roots aren't too deep, it's easier.

    "Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them." A.A. Milne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the Milne quote Mimi. I forgot about that. And you're right, weeds, like sin, should be stopped when young.

      God bless.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the deep thoughts conveyed today. i am reminded of a saying told me about hiking long distances (our Christian walk is a long journey), the Hiker said, "NEVER QUIT ON A BAD DAY!" That rang a bell. Gotta go we have bad weather warnings.
    Sherry & jack...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please take care in the bad weather, Jack. Praying for you and your family. God bless you all always.

      Delete
  10. We don't have "allotments" but we do have Community Gardens, not every suburb has one, they are fewer now than before, but in them anyone who wants to can rent a plot, large or small, and grow whatever legal plants they want. Most grow fruits and vegetables, some grow only flowers. you can keep the produce for yourself and family, or you can share or exchange, the rules are few. I have visited the local Community Garden in the past, but not lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These gardens are good for making friends and also for growing your own fresh food.

      God bless, River.

      Delete
  11. He knows who are His. :)

    I am one of His, by grace only.

    ReplyDelete
  12. In my travels both gardening and otherwise, I have come across some beautiful weeds and ugly flowers. In my garden both can work well together, sometimes in life we need to work more closely to appreciate the differences there are and how we can accommodate/understand them.

    I hope you've had a good week Victor, they pass by so quickly.

    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't claim to know much about flowers or weeds. I left a corner of the garden to grow wild to attract insects and birds.

      Best wishes for the weekend.

      God bless, Jan.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.