Tuesday 22 March 2022

One Day I Was A Boy

 

I was reminiscing the other day when I was a boy at school and my English teacher said to me "Your grammar stinks!"

I remember being quite upset at this sudden outburst, especially since my grandma always smelled of lavender.

When I got home I told my father what the teacher had said and he asked "Which grand-mother? ... I know my own mother always smells of the sweetest delicate best quality Norfolk lavender. Although I'll admit your mother's mom does smell of potpourri!"

I explained that the teacher had not specified which grandma stank. So my father wrote a letter of complaint which I had to take to school with me.

My teacher replied that she had never commented on, nor would she ever presume to comment on, my family's body odour; although she suggested that I eat less beans!

On reading her letter my father gave me a clip round the ears. He then wrote again to the teacher apologising for the misunderstanding and explaining that beans were less expensive than other foods.

On reading my father's letter the teacher gave me detention after school.

On the Saturday I went to Confession. Our church had an old fashioned confessional which was a wooden booth where the priest sat and the penitents would kneel on either side and confess through a small window.

I told the priest all that had happened and how it was really a non-sin on my part thus deserving a lighter penance this week. He said "Don't speak so loud I can smell your grandmother kneeling on my other side!" Although he did not specify which grandma he could smell.

Then he gave me an extra penance for speaking loudly and for drawing attention to old peoples' body odour. Which technically I had not done because it was not me who started all this; it was my English teacher who said "Your grammar stinks!"

I think the church got this whole question of confession and absolution wrong somehow. I got a penance for my teacher's sin!

Moral: So did Jesus.

30 comments:

  1. HeHe! My grammar 'STILL' stinks, even
    in my own language of Italian..I passed
    all my GCE o'levels..except one, first
    time, and that one was English, four
    more attempts..got 'MY' name right..passed! :).

    The only thing me, mia Mama and previous
    Grand parents, smelt of was 'Garlic'..And
    not a days passes were l eat a clove or
    two..or three or four..! You'll see NO
    vampires in my home..what with the cross
    over the bed and the garlic..I'm very safe..! :).

    Confession..Goodness! What an episode that
    all turned out to be..Every Saturday..4pm..
    "Father forgive me for l have sinned, it's
    been one week since my last confession..I
    have been rude to my Mum and Dad, l've been
    rude to other people.." And so on..I always
    got either three Hail Marys or three Our
    Fathers..I dreaded getting Stations of the
    Cross..But! No! My sins did'nt ever warrant
    them! :O).
    I stuck with confessions for a few years..
    then gave it up..l prayed to God in my own
    way, for forgiveness and continued with Holy
    Communion...! I then made up my own rules as
    l went along the way..after all, it was just
    a man, making it up to start with..!
    ❀ヅ❤♫ ❀ヅ❤♫ ❀ヅ❤♫ ❀ヅ❤♫ ❀ヅ❤♫

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memories of childhood often come flooding back. Garlic is good for you, I understand. We use it in cooking.

      God bless, Willie.

      Delete
    2. Yes! It is...

      Contains compounds with medicinal properties..
      May reduce the risk of heart attacks..
      May have anti-cancer properties..
      Has antifungal properties..
      Supports bone health..

      Delete
    3. I like garlic, Willie. But How could you eat two cloves a day? With regards to healthy food, garlic is excellent!

      Delete
    4. ... it is also good for cholesterol levels!

      Delete
    5. I keep garlic cloves in a jar of
      olive oil..l take out 1~2 a day,
      usually eat them raw..or put them
      in a pasta dish, or what ever l'm
      cooking..!
      One to two cloves a day should be
      the maximum consumed by anyone...
      Eating more, may cause upset stomach,
      diarrhea, bloating, or bad breath....!

      Wonder why you can't buy it in Transylvania..?

      Delete
    6. A garlic a day keeps the doctor away ... and everyone else too.

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. 😀

    Have a good day, Victor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...my son is an English teacher and he didn't get his skills from me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grammar rules can be difficult to remember.

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
  4. I think numerous stories are a great way to reinforce a serious point, and yours does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kindness, Kathy.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you Giorgio. Wishing you the best of the best.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  6. Dearest Victor,
    Haha, nowadays there are a whole bunch of 'grammar' stinkies! Only look on social media and it is obvious that writing skills are on the decline.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Social media have made people illiterate. You can see it in TV adverts where words are deliberately misspelled. Also, many youngsters don't read any more. Really good books or quality newspapers.

      God bless, Mariette.

      Delete
    2. Neither do they write... It was sad to learn from the lady at the Mont Blanc store, when dropping off my traveling fountain pen for repair, that nowadays they can't even put a signature on paper! Cursive writing is no longer being taught.
      Writing and Reading are KEY!

      Delete
  7. People's grammar today stinks and half of them can't even spell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can't spell and they can't smell that they stink at grammar.

      God bless, Bill.

      Delete
  8. I believe most of the 'younger generation' might benefit from remedial grammar classes, but no-one wants to listen. Even our (so-called) journalists have taken so many liberties, somedays my head wants to explode.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've noticed journalists on TV getting their grammar all wrong. Education is failing a whole new generation.

      God bless, Mevely.

      Delete
  9. Perfect twist at the end, Victor! Yes, Jesus took the sins of us all and paid a penance He certainly didn't deserve.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha. I thought the ending will hopefully make some people think seriously about Christ.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  10. Poor grammar. Quite truly, i feel sorry for grammar and how poor most people's grammar is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True ... Grammar is not what it used to be.

      God bless, Mimi.

      Delete
  11. Your teacher should have worded the comment better. Perhaps "your punctuation stinks" or "your work has too many grammmatical errors"
    Much less confusing for everyone concerned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep ... but then I would not have a story to relate.

      God bless, River.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.