Saturday 5 March 2022

No Longer A Magician

 

Years ago I fancied myself as a magician. I used to perform several tricks to amuse family and friends and me ... mostly me. I could make a whole room full of people at a party vanish by starting just one trick.

I was good at levitation too. Click on the word to read about my performance.

I also did card tricks. Click on the words and enjoy.

A favourite trick of mine was called the great escape. We used to bring in a wardrobe, or cupboard on stage. I used to call it an armoire ... it was more sophisticated to call it an armoire. It was old made of hard wood, mahogany or oak ... and very heavy. Two young female attendants used to wheel it in a bikini ... The attendants were in bikinis ... not the cupboard. Are you paying attention?

The attendants brought the armoire in and opened it to show it was solid wood all the way round and it was empty. 

I used to stand into a large sack made of canvas, similar material to jeans. It must have contained grain or similar beforehand; it smelled as if it contained manure. 

Anyway, I used to stand in the sack, the attendants would pull it up over my head and tie it with strong ropes. I then hopped into the cupboard ... sorry ... armoire, and they would lock the door shut. They would then put chains all round the cupboard and get members of the audience to check it was properly locked and chained and escape free. This gave me time to escape whilst in the cupboard.

There was a short period of silence ... only seconds ... the attendants would open the cupboard and it was empty. Everyone would applaud.

Anyway ... I tried to perform this trick once more at mom-in-law's birthday party last week. The party was at her home and she invited family and friends. I made quite a few cakes vanish whilst no one was looking. A few drinks too ...

So I got ready ... the cupboard was brought in and I performed the trick helped by my two uncles. They were not wearing bikinis of course ... only swimming shorts!

I entered the cupboard. I could hear my uncles do their chat patter to waste time ... only I could not get out of the damn cupboard.

I had forgotten that on stage I had a trap door through which I slid and escaped from the cupboard. Of course ... no trap door in my mother-in-law's house.

I think it's her fault the trick failed. I'll never perform this trick again. In fact I think I'm still in that cupboard right now!!!!!!!

25 comments:

  1. man oh man, you sure can spin a yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So! You've finished up in the
    closet then Victor..! HeHe! :).

    Though a few years ago, there was
    a program on the TV..That revealed
    how some of the Magical tricks were
    actually preformed..l believe you
    can still find them on line, like
    the disappearing elephant..done with
    mirrors..and so on..!

    HeHe! Bikini's..."What did the bra say
    to the hat".."You go on a head, l'll give
    these two a lift"....Boom! Boom! :O).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always the joker, Willie. Keep smiling.

      God bless.

      Delete
  3. I am sure that getting out of the cupboard is the least of your worries after reading levitations. MIL's do not make a good audience for you methinks....
    From this side, Remember to wear a mask whist in the hospital....
    Sherry & jack.. smiling...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah ... you read the levitation article. That was quite an experience with my MIL. She'll never forgive me.

      I pray you and Sherry are keeping well.

      God bless.

      Delete
  4. You should have checked the cupboard before entering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did ... I just forgot that the floor at my MIL's house did not have a trap door.

      God bless, Bill.

      Delete
  5. Dearest Victor,
    By now, after so many years of routine, you ought to have KNOWN that the devil is in the details.
    Well, you at least got stuck in an armoire!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Mariette. You are right. I just forgot to check that I needed a trap door from which to escape.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  6. It's not easy being a master of deception! I'm glad you gave up magic and began writing, instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I even wrote a book of magic tricks using invisible ink. It was published as blank pages and no one bought it.

      God bless you, Mevely.

      Delete
  7. I'd make a lousy magician. I have one trick where I make an ash smudge appear on someone's palm...can't do it anymore because no one smokes today...anyway it was very easy but quite impressive especially as it was usually performed with inebriated people. Everyone would demand to know how I did it and I always showed how as I thought it was so easy and so cool. I hear that magicians are not supposed to do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ... I wish I knew how to do this trick. I was never very good at magic but I entertained people by my incompetence.

      God bless, JoeH.

      Delete
  8. You are quite the character Victor. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you talking to me or the armoire?

      God bless you, Happyone.

      Delete
  9. It's quite astounding what you can do when you put your mind to it. Just remember not to levitate people outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember that episode well, Mimi.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  10. I've always known about the trapdoor part. I don't like watching women get sawn in half though, even though I know it's a trick.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ... it seems in that trick the trap door is more important than the young female attendants 😀😀😀
    Have a nice Sunday ☀️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trap door is essential to escape from the cupboard.

      Wishing you a great day.

      God bless, Giorgio.

      Delete
  12. AND this is..is..was..was the
    Greatest magician on the planet..
    Who actually 'died' on stage...
    Died! Died! Demise etc..15th April
    1984..Her Majesty Theatre London..
    And..l was watching it on TV...
    And..viewed by millions..! :(

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTY6TxXsK-o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Tommy Cooper made it look so easy. R.I.P.

      God bless, Willie.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.