Friday 25 March 2022

Who am I speaking to?

 

Thank you for calling the Timetable Phoneline. Your call is important to us. This is an automated Railway Timetable Information Phoneline. Please speak clearly and state your desired travel destination.

Birmingham.

You have selected London.

No ... I said Birmingham. Bir Ming Ham!

Please state the date you wish to travel from your local station to London.

No ... not London. BIR MING HAM. 

You have selected Swansea. Please state the date you wish to travel from your local station to Swansea.

I don't want to travel to Swansea. I want to go BIRMINGHAM.

You can select the date by entering on your keypad the day, month and year of your intended travel as follows - DD/MM/YYYY then press the # key.

It's pointless me pressing on this stupid keypad. We have not agreed the destination yet.

You have selected the 32nd day of the 13th month in the year 2525. 

No I haven't you stupid machine. I just hit my phone with my fist.

You have just called me stupid. We do not tolerate verbal abuse from our customers. Only from management. 

Wait a minute ... if you're a machine, how did you know I called you stupid.

Ooops ... faux pas. Please ignore what I have just said. Please speak clearly and state your desired travel destination.

This is not an automated machine. You're a human aren't you?

No I am not. Please speak clearly and state your desired travel destination.

Yes you are. A machine would not have known I said stupid and would not answer me back like you just did. 

Yes it would.

No it wouldn't.

Yes it would. It would. It would. 

All right. If you're a machine tell me the time of the first train from my local station to Birmingham. That's BIR MING HAM. Not London, or Swansea or any where else. BIRMINGHAM.

Wait a minute. I'll look it up!

Look it up? You're supposed to be an automated computerised machine with all the timetables on your database. What do you mean look it up?

Well, sometimes the pages in this timetable stick together as I search for the destination. How do you spell Birmingham? Does it start with the letter D?

20 comments:

  1. HaHa! Birmingham! :(
    Who? Wants to go to Birmingham..
    I went there once, my brother~in~law
    took me back in 73..1973..first married,
    my wife came from Stafford..we went to
    Birmingham..to the 'OLD' Bullring..as it
    was then..what a ****hole..! Yuk! Filth!
    Dirty! and ALL that went with it..! :(.
    Looked like a war zone..and believe me
    l know what one looks like..!
    Probably a lot nicer and cleaner now! I
    have 'NO' intentions of going to find out..!

    I had a set~to with O2 last Monday week, my
    top up card, won't work in the Spar shop l
    always go to once a month to top up!
    I phone three different numbers..recorded
    voices..l explained the problem, and this
    voice kept saying.."We do not understand,
    please answer Yes! or No!".
    In the end, l phoned O2 shop in Poole, she
    said l should go down, with my card and phone..
    Cut a long story short...It was'nt my card at all,
    but the machine in the Spar shop that was faulty.
    So l was suffering anxiety and stress for two days! :(.

    There's very few companies that you can actually
    speak to a 'Human Being'..it's ALL recorded voices,
    push button, pigeon..and so on..!
    At least when you pray to God, you get an answer...
    At least l do..Well mostly..! :O). Hello! Hello!
    ❀ヅ❤♫ ❀ヅ❤♫ ¯\_(⊙︿⊙)_/¯ ❀ヅ❤♫ ❀ヅ❤♫

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so frustrating when talking to a machine rather than a proper person. I like the ending of your comment.

      God bless, Willie.

      Delete
  2. ...I hate talking to computers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you, Willie, and Tom. I don't talk to hardware.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it is the only option with UK companies.

      God bless, Giorgio.

      Delete
  4. We always enjoy visiting, today I don't feel too much like commenting, so I am canning my comment, and pasting after I read.
    I appreciate your patience.
    jack with Sherry watching LOL she reads but will not comment. LOL I think that makes her a lurker! ;-) But a sweet one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope and pray you are both well my friends.

      God bless, Jack and Sherry.

      Delete
  5. LOLOLOL ... I was just IN Birmingham yesterday. And the day before that!
    Your telephone exchange isn't too far removed from what I enjoyed (NOT) last night with a Verizon rep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes those stupid "talk to" computerised machines are the only way to communicate with some organisations. Some techie companies over here don't even accept e-mails from customers. Phone call or nothing.

      I wonder if your Birmingham is like ours!

      God bless, Mevely.

      Delete
  6. No button to push to talk to a real person. What is a real person anyway, you have all this amazing technology you don't need a person. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Often the query with an organisation cannot be explained in YES/NO computerised algorithms that some firms have programmed on their answering service. That's when I need a real person to talk to. Also, some firms don't accept e-mails where you can explain your problem more fully.

      God bless you, Bill.

      Delete
  7. If you ever come to Swansea do give me a call!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Liz. It's such a long time since I visited Swansea on business.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  8. I think we've all been there a time or two!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a shame we can't program our own computers to talk back to their computers. That would be funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have changed my welcoming message on my telephone answering machine to sound like a computer. It says: If you need to speak to me PRESS 1. My wife: PRESS 2 then I name the children, the dog, the cat, the rabbit and so on PRESS 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, ... 99 and so on.

      God bless, Mimi.

      Delete
  10. I used to hate automated answers and always hung up, then found the information online. Now I don't even try and straightaway go online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some firms don't accept online messages or e-mails, River.

      God bless.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.