Saturday 20 August 2022

I don't know how to thank Him

 

There are times in life when we virtually see the hand of God at work. Perhaps we undergo an extraordinary experience, a major life-threatening illness, or a terrible event for us or a loved one, and we suddenly see God at work. We see clearly things get better, and we relax and take a deep breath of relief.

How can we possibly thank God when something like that happens? When He saves us from the very edge of danger and despair. 

There is nothing we can do to thank God and repay Him for what He has done, and continues to do, for us. No amount of prayers, lit candles or good deeds would serve as a thanksgiving. 

I often think back to the story of the ten lepers healed by Jesus. (Luke 17:12 onwards). Only one man returned to thank Him. Let's imagine the scene. Here is a man at the edge of society. Ostracised, excluded for fear of contagion, with no work, no family and friends, and left to starve and die a horrible lonely death. Jesus heals him. 

What can he possibly do to thank Jesus for his healing? No amount of money would be enough to get his life back. No amount of good deeds or prayers or anything else.

And it's the same with us when we see God working in our lives and saving us from horrendous circumstances.

I believe the best way to thank God is to go on living. I'd like to think that the grateful leper spent the rest of his life telling people what Jesus had done for him.

Jesus said, "I have come that they may have life, and have it in all its fullness." (John 10:10).

When God saves us from very difficult situations, I believe He expects us to thank Him and go on living a full fruitful life. To be a good example to others, and to live as Christ would want us to. That's the best way to thank God for His love and protection.

It will not fully repay Him; but it will do.

22 comments:

  1. Dearest Victor,
    Indeed, we would fail miserably in trying to repay Him.
    But we can act likewise and try to help and guide others.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mariette. Exactly my point; we would fail miserably in trying to repay God, because there's no way we can repay Him. We should live as an example for others to follow.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  2. If you want to have a close relationship with God,
    it's important to thank Him for the blessings you receive...
    This might be as simple as remembering to thank God
    when you're feeling good or actively enjoying a blessing.. However, you should also look for ways to be grateful to
    God even when times are difficult..
    In addition, you can show God that you appreciate His
    blessings by honoring him through your actions each
    day...

    Other ways of thanking God...
    I'm so grateful...
    I appreciate it...
    I couldn't have done it without you...
    I owe you one...(Yes! Even this one)..
    Much obliged...
    Thanks for having my back...
    Please accept my deepest gratitude...

    AND....
    Thank God continuously throughout your day...
    ❤️🙏❤️🙏❤️🙏❤️🙏❤️ 🙏❤️🙏❤️🙏❤️🙏

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I'd like to think that the grateful leper spent the rest of his life telling people what Jesus had done for him."

    I wonder how many people that was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would hope that he spent the rest of his life telling everyone. A true living witness to God's power and glory.

      Is that not what we are meant to be?

      God bless, Sandi. I hope you are keeping well.

      Delete
  4. I like this suggestion! You're right; there isn't sufficient breath to express my gratitude. Like the old saying, "Actions speak louder than words."

    PS - It's been years but when I read your title, the song from Jesus Christ Superstar immediately began playing in my head, "I don't know how to love him."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe you understand what I am saying here, Mevely. I have just witnessed the hand of God working in my life. I cannot go through details. However, in such circumstances, there is nothing we can do or say that could ever repay God for what He has done in our lives.

      We just don't know how to thank Him; or (as in the song) how to love Him.

      God bless always my friend.

      Delete
  5. ...for starters, live your life in decent way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still can't thank God enough for pulling me from the pit of severe illness this past January, Victor. He certainly didn't have to, but He chose to. I have Him to thank for a second chance at life, and to live it in a way that gives Him honor and glory.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's precisely what I mean, Martha. When we see God's hand at work, as I have just done, our only duty after we have thanked Him is to live our lives as an example to others and to tell our story.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  7. We thank God by putting him FIRST in our lives and living for Him. :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks my friend, you are SPOT-On with this, I was blessed as I read. YES, there just doesn't seem to be enough ways to THANKS HIM!
    Love from here, Sherry and jack smiling here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No matter how much we thank Him it is never enough.

      God bless, Jack and Sherry.

      Delete
  9. Tell Him you are thankful (gratitude that goes unexpressed is ingratitude), then live our your thankfulness in your life, by living well and doing what you can for others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen Mimi. Well said; my thoughts exactly.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  10. Of course we can never thank God enough, whether for the blessings that we like or for those other "blessings", often in the form of a cross which we don't like. To thank and praise God for everything! And all He wants is our love in return, in the way we try to be Holy in His sight, right where we are - the mother looking after the children, the nurse, the supermarket checkout worker, the electrician. Doing all for love of God. We are all called to holiness.
    I love that you make me think, Victor.
    God bless
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Gram. Much appreciated. It's nice to see you visiting here. Invite your friends too.

      God bless.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.