Friday 5 August 2022

Just wait a minute

 


There are so many things happening all at once and we are all being pressed to do this and that and the other thing that it is becoming increasingly difficult to keep on top of things and keep to a schedule. We all need to slow down, stop a little and relax.

For a while now I have been wanting to write a book on Procrastination but have been putting it off for another day. The book has been in the planning stage for a number of years now. I don't know ... maybe I have OCD in starting this book; but at least I have decided on the font I will use ... maybe ... perhaps.

Do you find there is too much news these days disturbing your train of thought? Or, if you can't afford a train then your pedestrian thoughts?

Almost every few minutes there's a breaking news headline that in reality does not affect me or you or anyone directly just as it happens. For example, just now at the bottom of the TV screen it said that a certain celebrity announced she is pregnant.

Big deal ... so what if she is pregnant. I don't even know who the celebrity is. Does it matter to me or any of her millions of would-be followers that she is pregnant? This is a matter for her and her close ones. Is it really a breaking news event?

I was on the bus the other day ... actually "in" the bus. If I was on it I'd fall off as it moves. The English language can be misleading at times. I need to write a book about that one day.

I was in the bus and noticed everyone was looking at their cell-phones and tapping and swiping left and right and whatever else. None were talking. Just tapping their fingers on those small screens. Even the elderly folks. One was obviously reading a book on some Kindle contraption. Every so often she licked her finger to turn the page on the screen.

I find technology disturbing. If my computer misbehaves I hit it hard on the side and call my techie friend to fix it. One of you, dear readers, wrote to me saying that no emails are coming through informing that I have posted a new post on my Blog. I did not know such a facility existed. There's a program which writes to readers saying "Vic has posted again". 

In this case the program did not work. I asked my techie to investigate. Apparently, my chair accidentally stood on one of my computer wires trailing on the floor and all the emails were clogged there unable to go through to my reader. As soon as he moved the chair my reader got told that I had posted seven posts recently.

This same techie suggested I have a new door bell which he had invented and made. Not only does it have a camera but it is voice activated. As soon as I approach the door, I say a certain phrase, the computer recognises my voice, and let's me in.

The other night, coming home late from the pub, the computer did not recognise my slurring insults and threats. I kicked the door and swore at it but it kept saying, "Please approach the microphone and speak clearly your appropriate security phrase." 

I don't think "***### ~~ ****" is the appropriate security phrase. Maybe I should change it to that.

The neighbours on either side did not hear me; probably not at home or asleep. The lady across the road noticed me from her window and came out in her night-dress carrying her cat. What is it with people carrying cats at this time of night?

Just as well. As she approached me the cat miaowed and the computer contraption opened my front door. 

I invited my neighbour in for a coffee but she declined saying she was not appropriately dressed. Now she noticed ... I tell you, her attire sobered me up.

15 comments:

  1. Miaowed! So that's how you spell it.

    "...my chair accidentally stood on one of my computer wires trailing on the floor and all the emails were clogged there..."

    😂

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly what my techie friend said, Sandi. He asked me to be careful where I put my chair. He explained that's why many people get their Blog comments in the spam folder. They comments get clogged and when the chair moves they go in the spam folder rather than on the Blog post. He is self-taught at techie things; he used to be a plumber and saw the same thing happen when you stand on a hose or pipe.

    God bless always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...for many, a minute is too long to wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes ages having to wait for the microwave to warm a meal.

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
  4. Hahahaha! That's a novel form of home entry. I've friends whose 'Ring' feature alerts them via their phone when someone's at their door. (Think, the opening from Wonderful World of Disney) Unfortunately, when Tom's daughter was visiting, the alert on her phone was going off so often I wanted to take it out on the driveway and back my car over it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never understood those Ring features. We have them in the UK. Say you're away from home, and your phone warns you there's someone at your door. What can you do about it? Say it's a would-be intruder ... what do you do?

      Our doorbell rings (indoors) whenever someone approaches the door - even before he touches the bell to ring it. This gives me time to check who is about to ring my bell.

      The other day the alarm warned me that someone was approaching. I opened the door and discovered that a snail had walked close to the house and and the sensor picked him up. So I picked the snail and threw it in a bush to save it from being trodden on.

      A week later the bell alarm rang again. I opened the door and the snail said, "What's the big idea throwing me in a bush?"

      God bless, Mevely.

      Delete
  5. The world is a complicated place now a days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Victor,
    Haha, hilarious these stories but so easily envisioned.
    Riding on the bus is indeed a stupid saying but we have that in all languages. If you really THINK about each word you say, it often makes no sense!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about languages, Mariette. When I was at school my teacher told me my grammar stinks.

      It was unfair, because my grandma smelled of lavender.

      God bless.

      Delete
  7. It seems like just as soon as I figure out a piece of technology they go and 'improve' it on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, Kathy. My electronic tablet doubles up as a drinks tray.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  8. If we ever change to all electronic locks, they better have a keyhole hidden somewhere for when the electronic thingy breaks, as it will.

    Thank goodness for the cat knowing the password.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the problem with technology, Mimi. I had a car that suddenly would not lock one of the doors. Whatever I tried the back door would not lock.

      God bless.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.