Friday 12 August 2022

Where's the limit?

 

Most good parents love their children very much and want the best for them. Perhaps you are fortunate enough to have children and grand-children, and no matter how old they are you continue to love them and care for them and even worry about them. This says a lot about your character and what a good person you are.

But how far would you go for your children?

In my first book, VISIONS, (ISBN-13 ‏: ‎ 978-1536976076 - AMAZON US and AMAZON UK), there's a passage where a young boy is very ill in hospital and the doctors have given up hope of survival. The parents have prayed for days and weeks and there's been no improvements in the boy's health.

Here's what the father says, "When Luke was very ill I prayed and prayed for him to get better. For days, and weeks I prayed so much that I was tired of praying. I lit candles in church, made promises to God, but to no avail. Eventually I stopped praying and lost faith in God. My feelings towards Him turned to anger and resentment. I stopped taking Communion, then I stopped coming to church altogether. I didn’t stop believing in God. No, I believed in Him al-right, but I turned my back on Him. I thought He didn’t care about me any-more."

A situation which I hope few of us have encountered in real life. I know there have been times in my life where I wondered whether God had abandoned me ... or was it me who distanced myself from Him? 

Eventually ... somehow, I came back to God.

But in the case of the distraught father in my book, he decided on another plan of action.

"I was desperate … I turned my back on Him …” mumbled the child's father, "my behaviour has been awful … as Luke got no better and was near to death … that’s when I thought of selling my soul to the devil. I’d read a story somewhere that a man had sold his soul to the devil in exchange for a happy life full of riches. So I thought I’d do the same to save my son."

The ultimate act of love. He was willing to condemn his soul for eternity in exchange for his son's earthly life.

Now let me stress straight-away that I am in no way advocating such action. I will not reveal what happens next, you'll have to read the book to find out.

The point I am making is that there are times when we pray forever and seem to have no response from God. We could also either feel or be tempted to believe that He does not exist; or we think that He has abandoned us. Even Christ on the Cross believed that God had abandoned Him. (Matthew 27:46)

The reality is that God does not abandon us. We may wander away from Him, but He is always at hand, caring ... loving ... waiting for our return into His open arms.

16 comments:

  1. I'd give my life for my daughter...Without question...
    I'm a Sicilian..blood is blood..! Family is family....
    Period..!

    The Father that would sell him soul to the devil....
    How many 'horror' films have been made, that
    follow that story line..!
    I don't ever ask God for anything..nothing..l very
    often have my doubts..questions arise..why does
    he allow children to be abused, neglected, murdered,
    and abandoned...Why?
    I have discussed this with priests, a bishop, and other
    so called religious people...Never get a convincing
    answer..so there is doubt..so yes..l still believe, up
    to a point..and yes, l'm lapsed, up to a point, l live
    my life as l see fit, not by the written word or by any
    other doctrine...l'm 75yrs of age next month, on
    St Matthews Day actually...and l've done pretty well
    in my life..l'm not a hypocrite, and never have been!
    I tell it as it is..cards on the table..! Take it or leave it..!
    🌷🌸🌷 🌷🌸🌷 🌷🌸🌷 🌷🌸🌷 🌷🌸🌷

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would take too long to answer your every point my friend.

    Yes, God "allows" bad things to happen. If He stopped bad things from happening He would be interfering with our free will to do bad things. Man has freely done bad things all through the ages.

    When bad things happen, it is not "God's will be done"; it is man's will standing in the way of God's will. And God allows it.

    God bless, Willie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But then we come back to the original question....
      Why? Why? Does he allow it...It is evil...evil...! :(.
      And as we know...God is not evil...!
      Children are innocent human beings....So Why?

      Think we'll leave it there Victor...this is going no
      where...!
      No one will ever explain the truth behind it, no
      one can, it's one of those things people make
      excuses for, and "God's will be done"..No..! I
      don't think so...!

      Delete
  3. ...when I was seriously ill, I wanted prayers for my doctors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pray for the whole world! Wonderful Post! Have a great day!
    Rampdiary | Fineartandyou | Beautyandfashionfreaks 

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sincerely hope that if your blog readers haven't read Visions that they order it immediately, Victor. This post makes me want to read it again!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, Martha; and for your support of my writings. I much appreciate it.

      God bless you and yours.

      Delete
  6. Visions was the first of your books I read. Ditto what Martha said -- I think your readers might benefit from having their own copy. (I just checked my Kindle to make sure it's still there!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too have always been very kind to me, Mevely; and a great encourager of my writings advertising them on your Blog. I am thankful to you for that.

      I hope my Christian books help someone.

      God bless you and your family.

      Delete
  7. Dearest Victor,
    It only is human nature for giving up and walking away from the severity of life.
    I certainly know people that became totally estranged from God because their prayer(s) did not get answered the way they demanded...
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true, Mariette. Often, we are faced with such difficulties that we walk away from God and our faith falters. We need to pray for more strength.

      God bless you and Pieter.

      Delete
  8. In such situations it's not easy to remember that just because He loves us doesn't mean He will give us everything we want. He isn't Santa Claus, although that's what many want to believe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Mimi, but ... what would we do for our loved ones?

      God bless.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.