Monday 8 August 2022

I know what's holding you back

 

The doctor told Robert that he has fallen arches. "What's that?" Robert asked, and the doctor explained that the shape of his feet is not what it should be like; and that he's had that all his life. 

"I never noticed it," said Roberts, "would it have affected me if I did not have fallen arches? Would I have been able to run faster for instance?"

"Yes probably ..." replied the doctor.

"You see what it means?" Robert told me afterwards, "I could have been an athlete. I could have been the fastest runner ever and won many gold medals. I could have been famous and rich. I could have been a celebrity and met many famous people and royalty and been on TV. It didn't happen because I have flat feet!"

I said nothing.

"What is worse," he continued, "is that I did not know about it. Had I known at an early age that I had flat feet or fallen arches or whatever I would have known why I can't run fast. I would have known what's been holding me back all these years. That's why I am not a famous runner and celebrity today."

I think Robert has a point. Had he known of his pedestrian misfortune he would have had an excuse, a crutch, to lean on at times of failings. He would have had a legitimate reason as to why he has not been successful in life. He could have been a famous surgeon were it not for his flat feet stopping him from standing for so long performing an operation. An architect even, but his flat feet stopped him from standing on uneven terrain. There are so many things he could have been and done were it not for his feet problem. A model for pedicures perhaps.

And to rub pain to injury, he knew nothing about it until now so he could not have used it as an explanation for his failings.

And perhaps the same applies to all of us. 

The reason you are not a famous singer like Sinatra, or whoever, is because of your vocal cords; and it has nothing to do with you having a voice that sounds like a ship's foghorn in the dark.

The reason you are not a famous celebrity chef on TV is because of your taste buds, and not because you cannot tell the difference between maple syrup and Tabasco sauce.

The reason you are overweight is because your parents overfed you, and it has nothing to do with your behaviour as a grown up.

It has just dawned on me. You see it on TV all the time. People blaming someone or something else for their state in life. 

They blame their background, the fact that they come from a broken family, the fact that they had a poor education, or because of this and that to explain their present circumstances.

There are many people who have raised themselves from terrible and difficult backgrounds to become successful in life. I admire them and applaud them as an example to others. 

But then, it is easier blaming it on your flat feet.

17 comments:

  1. ...I don't have flat feet, but I do have foot problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry to hear that, Tom. Praying for you.

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. Here l am..back from the wilderness..family just off on
    their way home..feeding of the five thousand yesterday,
    at the Barby...up first thing washing, packing, and
    generally tidying up..Phew! :).

    Now! Flat feet..so what..I have 'high arches' high instep,
    l only take an eight in a shoe, and a nine in a trainer...!
    So much so, l represented my county..Dorset..in cross
    country, l also ran short distance as well as long
    distance...never bothered with middle distance running,
    what's the point, neither one thing or the other..! :).

    My Father and Grandfather were Coldstream Guards...
    At fifteen it was assumed l would follow suit..l even
    went up to Birdcage Walk, for interview and medical,
    interview went well, but failed my medical...
    'High Arches'...Of course as a foot regiment, feet were
    very important...! And..had to be perfect..!

    Over all my feet have never held me up..Hang on
    Willie..think you ought to rephrase that...! HeHe! :).

    And l became a professional dancer/choreographer
    for fourteen years....so my feet have earnt me a lot
    of money...


    What would you need if you injured your feet in the
    middle of the road?
    A toe truck.

    What does a toe do when it snows a lot?
    It goes toe-bogganing...

    What happens when you injure your feet?
    They heel on their own...
    🦶 🦶 🦶 🦶 🦶 🦶 🦶 🦶 🦶 🦶

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done, Willie. You did not let your arches problem hold you back. I applaud you for that.

      So many people let their backgrounds hold them back and complain about it rather than try to help themselves as you have done.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  3. It is way too easy to blame others for our misfortunes, isn't it?
    Blessings, Victor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the modern way, I'm afraid.

      God bless, Martha.

      Delete
  4. It's always easier to blame others than to take ownership of an issue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Victor,
    Oh, people just LOVE the blame game.
    I've always told my students when doing training: 'Remember, when you point your finger at someone or something, there are thee pointed at yourself.' They laugh but it IS a fact and people better get over that immature reaction.
    Each one of us has lots of opportunities and time given by God, to use it as best as we can!
    ALL humans can achieve a lot more than they THINK they can (provided, they do 'think' to begin with...).
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People seem to have stopped thinking, Mariette. It is easier to blame someone else.

      God bless.

      Delete
  6. I'm wondering who ever raised these people, not to hold themselves accountable. Frivolous lawsuits --even finger pointing on social media-- are getting out of hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe social media has encouraged finger pointing with thumbs up and thumbs down icons and so on.

      God bless, Mevely.

      Delete
  7. It is easy to blame others for our own failures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our first job is to get control of the person in the mirror!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reflections can look awful; especially first thing in the morning.

      God bless, Mimi.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.