Wednesday 17 July 2024

How Time was invented

 

Have you ever wondered how we first learnt to measure time?

Here's a quick lesson you'll never forget.

Many years ago at the time of the Romans there was an Italian called Role. He was the tenth son of a tenth generation of men called Role - in fact he was known as Role the Tenth. Which in Roman times was written Role X.

Anyway Role X, and everyone else for that matter, noticed that it was sometimes daylight and sometimes night. "But how do we measure such a recurring occurrence to see how long is daytime compared to night time." thought Role X.

So he asked the opinion of his friend Galileo who at the time was looking up at the sky and wondering why the sun was always in different locations.

After a short discussion with Galileo, Role X planted a big candle which he had borrowed from his local church right in the middle of his garden. (The candle was in the middle of the garden - not the church. Just pay attention).

He measured the candle carefully. He waited until the sun was right above the candle, (i.e. no shadow), and he lit the large candle and left it lit until the following day when the candle had no shadow again. He then blew the candle out and measured the bit that was left. From this he deduced how much candle had burnt over the period it was lit.

He then got another candle with exactly the same dimensions and marked with his pen 24 equal segments from top to bottom. That's the candle's bottom not his bottom! Are you really paying attention?

He called each segment "hours". He quite rightly thought that if he lit the new candle at the same time as the previous day, (i.e. no shadow), he will call that MIDDAY and then every segment as it burnt down would be an HOUR, until the following day when there will be no more segments on the candle; and when there was no shadow (i.e. MIDDAY again).

Are you still paying attention? Good.

Role X decided he'd call the 24 segments one DAY.

He lit the candle and waited. But the experiment did not work because it was windy that night and the candle blew out.

He prepared a third candle which this time he kept indoors. That did not work either because the sun did not cast a shadow indoors.

So in total desperation, Role X bought himself a watch and solved all his problems about time.

Well ... I did promise you a quick lesson you'll never forget. Go buy yourself a watch and forget about lighting candles in the wind.

20 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness Victor: I have to come each day for my daily giggle, you are totally amazing at telling stories, thank-you from my heart.
    Gods Blessings to you

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so pleased that you enjoy my stories here, Catherine. They are all true ... honest!

      Please invite your friends here too. God bless always.

      Delete
  2. ...I'm reminded that eskimos have no words for short term time in their language.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you know, Tom, that in some Scandinavian countries their day-time is very short and it is always dark? They wake up in the morning, prepare breakfast, and it is time for bed once again.

      God bless.

      Delete
  3. Thankis for clearing that up! I anm still a little in the dark...
    Love from here Thanks fo the prayers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When in the dark, use an electric candle, Jack. I find they are better than real candles because there's no flame to burn my beard.

      Praying for you all. God bless.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad I knew how to tell time before I learned of Role X's role in creating it. LOL! Victor, your humor never ceases to amaze me. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In all honesty, Martha, my humour keeps me going. Especially when life is difficult. I have a book of jokes which I write; I will use it to encourage Saint Peter to let me in Heaven.

      God bless you and yours.

      Delete
  5. I got lost, Victor. Could you tell me what time it is, thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over here it is 5:11pm; but in America it is 9.11am.

      God bless, Bill.

      Delete
  6. Role X .... lololol!
    Were you my professor, I might have actually paid attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind compliment, Mevely. I used to give lectures when working in London.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  7. 😊
    ---Cheerful Monk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whatever is it in your diet that leads your imagination?!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is all true, Barbara. I read it in a science book which I am writing.

      God bless my friend.

      Delete
  9. Maybe that's what wrong with some of the younger generation, they won't wear watches any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, too cumbersome to have a lit candle on one's wrist.

      God bless, Mimi.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.