Wednesday 31 July 2024

Mascots

 

 A mascot is any human, animal, or object thought to bring luck, or anything used to represent a group with a common public identity, such as a school, sports team etc. Some sports teams for instance have someone dressed as a caricature like a lion, or other animal to represent the team, or its name.

I remember appearing on a pub quiz evening where we were allowed to bring in a mascot. Some people brought a small doll which was their lucky charm, others brought a photo of a dear friend or relative, someone brought his lucky red shirt and so on.

I took with me a memory mattress. It was difficult getting it in the pub because of its California King size. I needed two people to help me carry it from home to the pub a mile away. I took it with me because as a memory mattress it would remember all the facts and prompt me with all the answers to the questions. Unfortunately, instead of helping me, it remembered what goes on in the bedroom and started blackmailing me or tell all. I don't think memory mattresses are a good idea, do you? 

On one occasion I was a mascot. I worked at a garden centre selling all sorts of flowers and plants and gardening tools and implements. I was dressed as a tree and stood there at the entrance handing out leaflets to the customers as they came in. Then a dog peed on my leg thinking I was a real tree. Authentic or what?

On another occasion I was a mascot for a fried chicken outlet. They dressed me like a chicken that has just come out of the oven - no feathers and ready to serve on a plate. A big dog bit me whilst standing outside the restaurant.

Mascots are a good way to remember or associate to a product. What is your favourite mascot?

12 comments:

  1. ...Victor, your mind needs a rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps I should have taken a pillow as a mascot!

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
    2. You crack me up. Thanks for the laugh.
      www.rsrue.blogspot.com

      Delete
    3. I'm glad I made you laugh, Regine. God bless.

      Delete
  2. Favorite mascot? I'll have to say the Georgia Bulldog. Go Dawgs!
    Blessings, Victor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that football or baseball, Martha? I am not familiar with the Dawgs.

      God bless.

      Delete
  3. My favorite mascot is "Aubie" -- Auburn University's tiger. ("War Eagle!", Martha!)
    Still, the idea of having a personal mascot of my very own sounds intriguing; much better than saying "lucky charm.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to have a Uni mascot; or even a personal one too. I wonder what my personal mascot should be?

      God bless you, Mevely.

      Delete
  4. My favourite is Wally the Green Monster, mascot for the Boston Red Sox baseball team. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some mascots are really colourful and well made. The Red Sox is a good one. Sam Malone, from the TV series Cheers used to play for the Red Sox.

      God bless, Bill.

      Delete
  5. I like the idea of a pillow as a mascot. 😊
    —-Cheerful Monk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still cannot comment on your Blog, Cheerful Monk. My comments just vanish.

      God bless.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.