Wednesday 3 July 2024

Doubting Thomas

 

I guess you all know the story. After the Resurrection, Jesus appeared to the Disciples whilst Thomas was not there. When he was told what happened, Thomas did not believe. A week later, whilst Thomas was there, Jesus appeared again.

You can read the whole story in John 20:19-31

Now let's consider this:

Jesus knows everything. He knew that the first time Thomas would not be there. But He chose to appear to the disciples all the same. He could have appeared at a time where Thomas and all the others were together; but He didn't.

This way we have the story of Thomas and his doubts. A story which has been recorded by John in the Gospel and another piece of evidence that Jesus did indeed rise from the dead.

Unwittingly, Thomas gave us all more evidence about the Resurrection.

We all doubt from time to time, we analyse and ask ourselves about our faith and what we truly believe.

God knows our human nature because He created us, and He forgives our doubts time and again.

There once was a man whose son was very ill, and he came to Jesus for help, ‘Help us if you can,’ he asked Jesus. Jesus replied, ‘Everything is possible if you have Faith,’ to which the man said ‘I do have Faith, but not enough, help me to have more.’

Jesus healed this man’s son. He saw that the man was struggling with his Faith, as we all do from time to time. So He helped him.

I believe Lord, help my unbelief.  Mark 9:24

18 comments:

  1. ...perhaps that is why I was named Thomas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever it is you doubt about, pray about it.

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
  2. Have you watched The Chosen? In it the man who plays Thomas is very believable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember the series on TV earlier this year. I really enjoyed it.

      God bless you and thank you for your visit, Sandi.

      Delete
  3. We all have times where doubt creeps in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Bill. And it's an opportunity to pray more.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  4. When we have doubts, let us go to God in prayer, knowing Jesus will be certain to give us all the faith we need.
    Blessings, Victor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen Martha. Doubts are not always a bad thing; often they lead us back to God if we pray earnestly.

      God bless you and yours, Martha.

      Delete
  5. Thank-you Victor: Ther are many doubting Thomas's in this world today, so many have fallen away from the Faith, there needs to be a resurgence of beliefs and soon. The world is failing and doing it quickly.
    Gods Blessings to you for sharing with us all your lovely posts on Blogger.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments, Catherine. Yes, there are many who doubt their faith and moved away altogether. We need to pray for a resurgence, as you say. I am hopeful.

      God bless, my friend.

      Delete
  6. Mark 9:24 may be my favorite 'go-to' Bible verse.
    Like that splendid song lyric, I walk on with hope in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is my chosen prayer when things are difficult.

      God bless you, Mevely.

      Delete
  7. thecontemplativecat here I wonder what happened with Thomas. That would be an interesting story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. St. Thomas was born a Jew and was called to be one of the twelve Apostles. His birth and death dates are unknown, but his feast day is celebrated July 3.

      Full story here:
      https://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=410

      God bless, Susan.

      Delete
  8. You'll Never Walk Alone is one of my favorite songs. Thanks for jogging my memory. ❤️
    ---Cheerful Monk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cheerful Monk.

      Have you seen my video of "You'll Never Walk Alone" as sung by my friend Father Francis Maple?

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW4-iHiBKTI

      God bless.

      Delete
  9. When reading Scripture, sometimes I simply have to say, Lord, I take you at your Word. I don't always understand, but I believe you, so please reveal to me what I do not yet comprehend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a wonderful prayer, Mimi.

      God bless you.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.